MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
the first gen is actually very very cool. i like it alot,

rather just sell off that engine and tranny.

unless you going to put a 2zz in there, the 4agze will come out tops over the 1zz. i would even prefer an NA 4age to a 1zz.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Just as I bought my spyder, I thought to myself: This would be the perfect engine for a MK1.

I do still own my EU-spec MK1 (124 bhp standard) and what I like about the 1ZZ is the torque-curve. I can drive in the Spyder between 2000-3000 revs, if I drive the same road in the Mk1, I would be between 3000-4000 revs. The 1ZZ is so much smoother in the bottom-end.

So, excellent idea. It will be slower as the Spyder though, as the MK1 is 100 kgs heavier.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Anything will fit anywhere if you can fabricate/weld/spend money lol. But it's a waste as the slowest mki/mkii (older) are more powerful than the 1zz. I'd sell themotor if it were me.
Get your info right.

MK1 US: 117 BHP
MK1 EU: 124 BHP
MK1 SC: 145 BHP
MK2 US: 130 BHP
MK2 EU: 156 BHP / 175 BHP
MK2 Turbo US: 225 BHP
MK2 Turbo JAP: 245 BHP
(Could be I'm off a BHP here or there, this is from memory)

So the slowest MK1/MK2 were the US-versions with 117 BHP or 130 BHP. They weren't "more powerfull" as the Spyder.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
The MK1 has more useable room on the Inside for the People than the Mk3, and is Smaller on the Outside.. How does that happen.. and it has an Enclosed Trunk and Frunk..

We've looked at tossing a 1ZZ in the Mk1.. use the Mk1 Tranny and fab some adaptors.. then use the ECU from a 1ZZ '00 Celica or Corolla.. Exhaust will be tight, as it has a trunk..

Cap

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
MK3-exhaust is behind the engine. MK1-exhaust is beneath the engine. And it is a lot smaller. And the Mk1 has edges, a box will always have more usable space than a sphere.

Beside, nobody siad the trunk has to stay a trunk. There have been a lot of 3S-GTE-conversions where they put teh intercooler in the trunk.

Cap, why a Corolla or or Celica-ECU ?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
The MK1 has more useable room on the Inside for the People than the Mk3, and is Smaller on the Outside.. How does that happen.. and it has an Enclosed Trunk and Frunk..
The Mk1-engine is placed more to the front/middle. Engine sits right behind the seats. And it does not have to store a softtop. There's more room in an MK1-enginebay, if you ask me.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Cap, why a Corolla or or Celica-ECU ?
The Spyder ECU has the Immobilizer.. and unless you want to do some exotic cobbling of pieces or Alarm Systems to defeat it, the Corolla or Celica ECU for the US marketts has no Immob... this makes the Install simpler.. I'd use the Spyder Wireharness for the Engine, and that would put the ECU next to the Left Side Tail Light, rather than the Right Side that the M1 is on.. The Wiring Harness ( Loom ) on the Mk1 exits next to the Alternator to get to the ECU.. not fun to work on..

Cap

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Ok, the immobilizer makes sense.

No problems with the fact that intake/exhaust-system will be on the other side ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.