MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan is to pull the trigger on the veilside kit by the end of next year. However, a year after that I plan on on doing a 2zz swap. I have a few questions about the kit.

1. The kit seems to run about 5k, but the exhaust (which at some sites says it's required, and costs 4k). This may be a silly question, but is this exhaust required? If it's not, I imagine you would have to get something custom fabricated?

2. Is the exhaust worth the money? Are you aware of alternatives that would work with the design of the bodykit?

3. If I were to be a mad man and purchase the exhaust, would the exhaust be compatible with a 2zz engine?

4. How will a widebody affect my tire selection (sorry for being an idiot)?

5. Assuming I don't get the veilside exhaust and work with an alternative (if thats possible), is 15k all-in enough to get everything done? (5k [kit] +5k [paint] +5k [swap]?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I’m not sure what’s so special about an exhaust system for a wide body kit. All that shows is the tips. However the kit will look silly without wide wheels (not just wide tires on stock “rims”). Body kits notoriously fit very poorly and require significant body work to install. $$$. I thought about going for a body kit, but decided against the expensive mod which makes the car slower and heavier.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
1. Yes an exhaust is required ..... there's two holes in the bumper that it's suppose to line up with and the tips stick out .
2.No the exhaust isn't worth 4k ..... go custom fab .
3.There's no reason it wouldn't be compatible with a 2zz but it would probably need some re-work on the connections .
4.Tire selection usually gets easier with the bigger sizes that you need , probably more brands so that you can match tires and get the stagger you want .
5. You are on your own here .... it's hard to find people to do work that's good let alone cheap . The only addition you'd need is about 1-2k for tires and wheels . Plus I wouldn't do a 2zz swap .

I've been working on a Veilside for a while now and have a thread . There's pictures of the exhaust that was fabed and tire and wheels sizes . Most of the info you were asking about are in the first 2-3 pages .... don't know why the pictures went blurry other than PB is a piece of crap .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Yes an exhaust is required ..... there's two holes in the bumper that it's suppose to line up with and the tips stick out .
2.No the exhaust isn't worth 4k ..... go custom fab .
3.There's no reason it wouldn't be compatible with a 2zz but it would probably need some re-work on the connections .
4.Tire selection usually gets easier with the bigger sizes that you need , probably more brands so that you can match tires and get the stagger you want .
5. You are on your own here .... it's hard to find people to do work that's good let alone cheap . The only addition you'd need is about 1-2k for tires and wheels . Plus I wouldn't do a 2zz swap .

I've been working on a Veilside for a while now and have a thread . There's pictures of the exhaust that was fabed and tire and wheels sizes . Most of the info you were asking about are in the first 2-3 pages .... don't know why the pictures went blurry other than PB is a piece of crap .
I'll look into the thread! Thanks. Why wouldnt you get a 2zz? I got my spyder a year ago and Im coming from a 2006 mustang gt. I feel I need more power. The car needs to be a bit more fun, or I think a newer gt is on the cards.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I'll look into the thread! Thanks. Why wouldnt you get a 2zz? I got my spyder a year ago and Im coming from a 2006 mustang gt. I feel I need more power. The car needs to be a bit more fun, or I think a newer gt is on the cards.
The 2zz is over rated , they're getting old and hard to find good ones and still not enough bang for the buck . The widebody changes the whole driving experience .... you just don't care it's not fast . Low and slow ......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2zz is over rated , they're getting old and hard to find good ones and still not enough bang for the buck . The widebody changes the whole driving experience .... you just don't care it's not fast . Low and slow ......
So what's the answer for a satiating driving experience where I'm not yearning for more? 1zz or 2zz turbo..Kseries swap? Perhaps I need to drive the car of someone's who's already swapped it to see what I like. I feel when I'm driving I can crack a grin around when zipping around town at slower speads...I want to be able to smile or let out a laugh when I'm wide open on the highway.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Your looking at putting $15K into your car on top of what you paid for it. Sell it and buy a Boxster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your looking at putting $15K into your car on top of what you paid for it. Sell it and buy a Boxster.
I thought about this. Not a pretty car imho (especially prior to 2011), maintenance is also couple steps up. For me, all cars are depreciating assets unless you are buying a real classic. love Mustangs. I feel like if I made these changes it would give me equal happiness to a new GT and something a bit more unique. So a gently used (1-3) y/o GT with about 25k miles would cost me between 30-35k. Bought my car for 8k, adding 15k puts me at 23k. If the changes bring similar smiles per gallon, I'm saving some money.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
The problem is you won't see anything like that 15K in returns if you decide/need to sell.
A lot of money to put into an old car.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
So what's the answer for a satiating driving experience where I'm not yearning for more? 1zz or 2zz turbo..Kseries swap? Perhaps I need to drive the car of someone's who's already swapped it to see what I like. I feel when I'm driving I can crack a grin around when zipping around town at slower speads...I want to be able to smile or let out a laugh when I'm wide open on the highway.
The answer? Probably a different car.

You would need to put in thousands of dollars into a Spyder in engine changes and modifications to get significantly better performance if you are measuring performance only in acceleration. The end result won't increase the value of the car (more likely decrease it), could decrease reliability, and increase maintenance. Doing engine swaps and modifications are not for amateurs. Just check out all of the posts on swaps with lots of major issues even though the process to swap a 2ZZ or K series was perfected years ago and there is lots of information. To do it right costs money (lots) and expertise. Same for proper turbo builds.

The Spyder is just a really fun (and very quick) car on twisty roads, but will get dusted by even most hot hatches like a WRX, Civic R, etc in a straight line. A Spyder is all about handling, not raw speed.

If you are coming from a big V8 in a Mustang that has lots of low end torque and power, you may not be too happy with an engine like a 2ZZ that only shows its power above 6,000 rpm.

So a gently used (1-3) y/o GT with about 25k miles would cost me between 30-35k. Bought my car for 8k, adding 15k puts me at 23k. If the changes bring similar smiles per gallon, I'm saving some money.
You can't compare a 1-3 year old car with 25K miles with a 15-20 year old car regardless of the miles on the old car. Spyders are getting old, and no matter what you do to one, it is still an old car with limited value. Old cars do break down, and many parts are getting hard to get. Your $8,000 Spyder won't increase in value. Add in depreciation, and your dollars per mile will be far higher in an old modified car with limited value.

Sometimes dreams have to be tempered by logic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The answer? Probably a different car.

You would need to put in thousands of dollars into a Spyder in engine changes and modifications to get significantly better performance if you are measuring performance only in acceleration. The end result won't increase the value of the car (more likely decrease it), could decrease reliability, and increase maintenance. Doing engine swaps and modifications are not for amateurs. Just check out all of the posts on swaps with lots of major issues even though the process to swap a 2ZZ or K series was perfected years ago and there is lots of information. To do it right costs money (lots) and expertise. Same for proper turbo builds.

The Spyder is just a really fun (and very quick) car on twisty roads, but will get dusted by even most hot hatches like a WRX, Civic R, etc in a straight line. A Spyder is all about handling, not raw speed.

If you are coming from a big V8 in a Mustang that has lots of low end torque and power, you may not be too happy with an engine like a 2ZZ that only shows its power above 6,000 rpm.

You can't compare a 1-3 year old car with 25K miles with a 15-20 year old car regardless of the miles on the old car. Spyders are getting old, and no matter what you do to one, it is still an old car with limited value. Old cars do break down, and many parts are getting hard to get. Your $8,000 Spyder won't increase in value. Add in depreciation, and your dollars per mile will be far higher in an old modified car with limited value.

Sometimes dreams have to be tempered by logic.
Very good points. Perhaps what I want from the spyder it can't do. Before I begin to burn money I'll need to find someone in the DMV area that has already performed the swap/turbo, smooze my way into letting me take their car for a spin and go from there. Word of mouth is a great way to make sure the swap/turbo is clean, imo. I'd only take the recommendation of someone who has done it before. Worst case scenario I take it over to MWR, may even get a discount if I give over my 1zz with 36k miles..

I love my spyder, it's so much fun. But the power reminds me of video of the raccoon that drops his sugar cube in the water only to see it evaporate. I just feel it needs a bit more get up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The problem is you won't see anything like that 15K in returns if you decide/need to sell.
A lot of money to put into an old car.
THIS!!!! My step-son, who is 27, is doing a similar thing to a 250,000 mile '96 z28 that was my wife's car since new. I've told him and told him he could throw all kinda money at it but at the end of the day it'll still have 1/4 MILLION miles on it and be 24 years old. The same I started telling her 4 years and nearly $10,000 ago when we started with replacing the engine/trans, which were simply worn out.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have the capital to throw at a widebody kit, you should try to source a monocraft gt300 kit. It’s sought after so it will retain its value if not appreciate. Also, it doesn’t look like this ... yeesh....

View attachment 74612
Aren't panel gaps the result of an install vs a poor kit? And there are tons of knock off veilside kits out there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THIS!!!! My step-son, who is 27, is doing a similar thing to a 250,000 mile '96 z28 that was my wife's car since new. I've told him and told him he could throw all kinda money at it but at the end of the day it'll still have 1/4 MILLION miles on it and be 24 years old. The same I started telling her 4 years and nearly $10,000 ago when we started with replacing the engine/trans, which were simply worn out.

I think one thin

Here's the think. Very few cars retain their value. Especially when you get into the realm of street mods, body kits, suspensions, turbos, you never get your money back. You do it because you are an enthusiast. The car is old, but repairs are par the course with old cars. In my mind, I think am I willing to pay for a certain experience and am I willing to essentially commit to owning this car forever or selling it on at a considerable loss.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I disagree, in terms of USA use. Had a friend with a Boxter, listened to his stories of maintenance and repair through the years. Led a group of Boxters and Boxter-S's up the Dragon a few years later. A finely tuned Mr2 Spyder is actually the superior car for 30 - 90 mph super-curvy roads.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I disagree, in terms of USA use. Had a friend with a Boxter, listened to his stories of maintenance and repair through the years. Led a group of Boxters and Boxter-S's up the Dragon a few years later. A finely tuned Mr2 Spyder is actually the superior car for 30 - 90 mph super-curvy roads.
Might be true but you need to spend almost $10K to finely tune any MR2. 2zz, lsd, suspension, wheels tires, brakes, etc and many hours of labor.

In the end you have a car that struggles to sell for $7K now.

Used Porsche Caymans can be had for $20K now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Might be true but you need to spend almost $10K to finely tune any MR2. 2zz, lsd, suspension, wheels tires, brakes, etc and many hours of labor.

In the end you have a car that struggles to sell for $7K now.

Used Porsche Caymans can be had for $20K now.
Thats 10k too much for the inferior Porka which would prob need
another 20k again to make it last as long as any Toyota.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts