MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We pretty much all know the 1zz is the same motor that Toyota put in the Corolla with a few what appear to be minor changes. The ones I'm aware of are:
1. Slightly modified heads giving it a few more ponies. I think the valve porting was changed?
2. Dipstick moved for obvious reasons.
3. ?

My main question is did the 1ZZ in the Corolla have the same header with the pre-cats in it or is our beloved MR2s the only one with pre-cats and hence, the pre-cat problem?

Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
192 Posts
The pre-cats is specific to the MR-S. Maybe because the exhaust length is a lot shorter.
Pre-cat failure is result of burning oil. If the engine don't "drink" oil, pre-cat will no show failure.

Corolla/Celica/MR-S have same engine.
Factory MR-S 1ZZ just have oil cooler in plus.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Funnyman pretty much described it. from what I know American market 1zz have oil consumption issues. I went to medschool in Antigua, (small island in Caribbean), and 99% of cars there are JDM, none of my local friends ever heard Corolla 1.8 eating oil.

Basically all American 1zz eat oil (due to bad piston ring design), but mr2 "precats" make it so much worse.

·
Registered
630 Posts
From my knowledge the only cars that had the 1zzFED were the MRS and JDM Celica GT. All other cars, Corolla and Usdm Celica had the 1zzfe. The D meaning domestic as those were assembled in Japan. USDM 1zz’s were assembled in Kentucky. ALL 1zz’s from 00-02 had the oiling hole flaw which caused massive blow-by of oil. The MRSs’ pre-cat was a secondary issue to this - exacerbated by it, but not the primary cause of oil burn and engine failure.

The 2003+ 1zz fixed the oil burning across all MRS/Celica/Corolla, but precats should still be removed from 2003+ cars in my opinion.

Despite popular belief the conrods are the same from 1zzfe and 1zzfeD. The only difference is the larger valves in the head of the D (lol) which does not give a demonstrable performance advantage. According to MWR, HP is the same between the 2 engines and the advertised HP difference is due to the MRSs’ ECU and also simply marketing.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
For the 1ZZ you can go back earlier. My 1998 Corolla with a 1ZZ started using oil at 50k. No precats on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts