MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
No. It is a cat-back exhaust and works with the stock down pipe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have been wondering for a long time now, does the lotus exhaust make your check engine light come on because of the 02 sensor

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
A cat-back should never make your cel come on, as it's all after the last o2 sensor.

Edit: A properly installed one anyway.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
my friend just got one the dual canister with ebay headers and catless dp. Its pretty effin loud.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Loud in a bad unwanted attention attracting way. I've only heard his car from the outside. I'm gonna drive his car this weekend I can give a review if you like.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does the bumper have to be modified in any way to use this exhaust?
Mine melted into the bumper a tad as it's a really close fit. After a little sanding, it looks like the two semi-circle melted cutouts were intentional. I had the exhaust torched and pulled down an inch or two to give it more clearance and prevent any further melting.

Overall, I like the exhaust well enough. It could be quieter, but it's still not as bad as I feared it would be. It's definitely not quiet, but isn't over bearing. I've installed the PPE straight headers and high flow cat, so mine will be a little deeper/louder from that too.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Mine melted my bumper also! Just cut the whole bottom portion off and I love the way it looks.
PPE catless header and DP makes for a pretty loud annoying ride in all honesty. It has some great tones but the power does not come close to backing up the noise....
Noting I'll be worrying about changing till I go turbo though.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
If your melting you bumpers you need to bend one of the hangers a little.Most aftermarket exhausts needs some adjusting to fit.You will need to remove the rear diaper or cut a hole like I did.I have Team Moons now and I like them but I still have the lotus style and may change back.I am using the stock cat so it's not overly loud like running catless. Both exhaust sound good to me.I personally consider them equal.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It would be neat if the bumper could be "recessed" around the tops of the (slightly raised) tailpipes. Like on the Boxster - has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I ended up cutting a small notch around the tips on mine. You can't tell unless you are under the car. Mine just barely touched before.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine did throw a CEL, but that was due to the 129K on the car. This was more likely the result of the muffler shop, rather than the exhaust itself, as the o2 sensor is right near the exhaust gasket.
Why did I go to a muffler shop? well after 4 hours of much sweat and choice words I couldn't get the thing to line up, Uncle. After the exhaust was installed I had to tweak it further to get everything centered. In the end it was all worth it.
I had to cut bumber in order to make it fit.
it is louder than stock but not too loud.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I like the idea, but I'd need to look at it again once you've tidied up the tailpipe cutout!

Also, I'd love to replicate the design of the Boxtser tailpipes, which are cut flush to the bumper cover. Is it straightforward to cut a "slash" into the Che tailpipes? Could you use one of those pipe-cutting tools to cut at an angle?

·
Registered
257 Posts
i have been wondering for a long time now, does the lotus exhaust make your check engine light come on because of the 02 sensor
Not directly, but that sensor is delicate and disturbing it during an install could be enough to damage it and throw a code, if they are over ~60k miles (OEM didn't anti seize them upon install). Happened to mine, 1 upstream sensor was damaged but it wasn't apparent until after re-install.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts