MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched everything I could think of, but came up empty-handed. So, I've come to you...

Does anyone make a quick ratio steering pinion for the Spyders like the one that is available for the MkIIs? If not, is there another steering pinion with a quicker ratio from another car that someone has found to work successfully?

Thanks in advance. Cheers. :)

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
The MKII with power steering was about 3 1/4 turns lock to lock, the spyder is about 2.5 turns lock to lock. The quick ratio for the MKII takes it down to what the spyder is stock.

I don't see a reason this would be needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...You dont own a spyder do you? :lol:

Lol, you got me! I do not own one...yet. But as I enjoy the quick ratio in my '93, I thought I would start researching this mod first. It's good to know that the Spyder's ratio is just as quick in stock form.

Thanks to everyone for the education. I'm even more excited to get one for myself now! :)

Off to the n00b forum I go...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too bad the steering boost can't keep up with the speed of the rack and fast hands.

Based on what I have seen of the Spyder's PS assembly, I assume that converting to manual steering is just as easy as it is in the Mk2? In addition to the Q/R pinion, I have also done the PS -> manual conversion, and I run a 330mm wheel...no more steering boost issues on that car! I used to beat that PS when everything was stock, so I ditched it when I modded the other steering components.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Lol, you got me! I do not own one...yet. But as I enjoy the quick ratio in my '93, I thought I would start researching this mod first. It's good to know that the Spyder's ratio is just as quick in stock form.

Thanks to everyone for the education. I'm even more excited to get one for myself now! :)

Off to the n00b forum I go...
Yups you'll love it. Only things it lack are rigidity and power.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Of all the things I love about the Spyder, the steering ratio is among my favorite things. It's great for daily driving. Any car would feel very sporty with this tight a ratio. For the track, it's absolutely ideal. The amount of steering input I have to give is sometimes imperceptible.

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Too bad the steering boost can't keep up with the speed of the rack and fast hands.
This is true of some and not of others. Mine is a good one, and barely ever has the slightest hiccup. The hiccups are getting more frequent. It used to be a couple times an autocross season, now it is maybe once an event (not once a run, but once, usually on my most hamfisted run) every few events. I'm not saying you are wrong or drive poorly or anything like that. I have driven spyders that match your experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.