MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had enough with my current aftermarket muffler. I think my turbo has cooked the materials within the unit and it has just become too loud. I am willing to give up quite a few HP to quiet things down. Anybody have a source for a really REALLY quiet aftermarket muffler? I could weld something up made from Jegs parts but if I can just purchase something and weld on my Vband that would be great!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have had enough with my current aftermarket muffler. I think my turbo has cooked the materials within the unit and it has just become too loud. I am willing to give up quite a few HP to quiet things down. Anybody have a source for a really REALLY quiet aftermarket muffler? I could weld something up made from Jegs parts but if I can just purchase something and weld on my Vband that would be great!
do you have a cat on it?

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I looked into this a few years ago - the muffler I found is still niiiice and quiet but sounds good. Good quality, quiet(er) muffler for 2.5" exhausts

if the one I picked won’t fit your setup they have lots of options in the same ‘line’ of mufflers.
I second Funkycheeze's suggestion.

I bought one after his thread and could not be happier. I've gone thru several mufflers already and this solo performance brand seem to have lasted the longest while maintaining the most sound muffling. It has deteriorated a bit but its still very bearable and actually sounds decent. I wholehearted believe they put way better material inside the muffler vs the 4-5 mufflers i've used previously. With a turbo, it will be really really quiet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine had the Ebay Lotus style and I hated it; raspy and drones. I just cut that out and inserted this Vibrant. Beautiful!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I have! The ebay center exhaust style. Did you cut out both mufflers? Mind sharing a pic? I really wan to make this as easy as possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is not a great picture, but I cut out the old and inserted the new. Don't mind my crappy welds. Also, I hate those tips. They came out skewed. But, I have a rectangle tip coming that will straighten this out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's what I have! The ebay center exhaust style. Did you cut out both mufflers? Mind sharing a pic? I really wan to make this as easy as possible.
I had this ebay exhuast for about a week

It is absolute garbage. The inside of one of the mufflers came apart and was rattling louder than the sound of the exhaust which was loud and not good.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good lord! In that case my setup is EXTREMELY quiet. As long as its below 3000 its nearly passenger car quiet. When the wastage opens though I have no doubt it can be heard for MILES!

Thanks so much for cutting it open. It may actually be louder in the car without any material inside the muffler. I may double up and leave room for a helmholtz resonator. I want to hear the turbo compressor and intake not the exhaust.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
:LOL: :ROFLMAO: OMFG I was right!! Thats hilarious!!

Wow Cazman, please post those 2 pics up on every exhaust thread from now on. Cause this is a semi popular exhaust, it would save alot of money and headaches to our fellow spyder owners.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I am happy with the MagnaFlow 14210 Exhaust Muffler. Note that it is a 2.5: pipe. Not super quiet but sounds great and has been durable. For a bolt-in cat back system I don't think you can do better than the HKS.

Dave

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whatever I do won't be "cat back" it will have to be custom or at least I will have to cut the flange off and add a Vband. Im leaning toward a combination of chambered and strait through resonator to get as quiet as possible. Its nearly impossible to get the ban filtering graphs for mufflers. So there will be a bit of guess work. I am probably going to go with a chambered welded in place of the junk I have now then 180 degrees back through a 2.5" vibrant recommended here. Ill finally turn another 180 degrees and come out a center pipe. The series mufflers, especially the chambered will hurt performance but I am willing to give up 10 HP to have a silent ride. Plus, that's only like 1 PSI more on the turbo to offset that loss.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Have you looked at a Varex remote controlled muffler? One of my friend's with a turbo kswap, says its great. Pricey but if it works and lasts as intended then maybe its worth the price vs a whole series of mufflers/resonators.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I ordered the VPE-1141. I am also looking at a mini Fowmaster baffled, chambered unit that would fit in series. I will try the VPE unit first and if I feel the need Ill be adding one of these in series plus maybe an electric cutout.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's about packaging for me. I'm keeping everything up high since my turbo downpipe is more of a sideways pipe and it passes through above the rear cross brace. Additionally, I want the center exhaust outlet maintained since I cut the bumper for it and will be adding an Elise diffuser.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I've also used a flowmaster before too. Forgot which model but it was lets say not very sporty sounding. Sounded like an industrial fan in some warehouse.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts