MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,
I have a pre-facelift Spyder and am wanting to swap out my stock radio for an aftermarket Bluetooth one. I'm guessing it will need to be double din due to the size, but are there particular radios that fit better than others? Which ones have you guys had the best experience with? So far I'm looking at these, but if they won't fit then I won't get them:
1. Sony WX-900BT
2. Pioneer Bluetooth Headunit
3. Kenwood DPX-5000BT
Any help is much appreciated. Please note I live in Australia.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,050 Posts
The Spyder has a very deep mounting location for aftermarket stereos. As long as you get an install kit that has the brackets to mount and the harness adapter, the world is your oyster so to speak. In some cases you need to lower the ash tray.

Here's what my Chinomium radio looked like before I made the bottom trim. Note the trim kit required on the right and left of the head unit.
Gadget Audio equipment Car Vehicle audio Auto part

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought this single DIN Sony Reciever about 3 years ago. Amazon.com: Sony MEX-N5200BT CD Receiver with Bluetooth, external microphone and SiriusXM Ready (Disco by manufacturer) : Electronics

With the Toyota OEM speakers it sounds just fine to me with my 66 year old ears. There is so much background noise in this car I don't see where a high end audio system is worthwhile. There are a few issues with the controls but mostly I listen to 2 or three FM stations and what's on my USB memory card. You do have to just listen to what comes up next on the memory card or advance to what ever is next.

One other headache, when the battery is disconnected, the reciever cycles back to its store demo mode where it flashes thru all the display colors available. I then have to did the book back out and reprogram the screen display.

Again the sound is good.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The Chinese Android headunits are a good value but they can be quirky. Mounting brackets might need to be trimmed if you want all of the surrounding plastics to fit.

I would expect the Japanese headunits to run smoother but at a higher cost.

Whatever you get I recommend getting one that has an analog volume knob. I miss having that.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
100% make sure it has this. It is a HUGE pain trying to touch screen volume. Note that the unit I have has a manual volume knob.
I have a JVC HU. The best part of it is the remote....far more convenient than even the Bluetooth adapter. Anything that doesn't make you take your eyes off the road is a huge asset.

·
Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
171 Posts
I use a single DIN Kenwood head unit, KDC-BT73DAB if I am not mistaken.
As I am in Europe I use DAB+ for radio, not sure what you guys have in Australia.
If you are just interested in audio and bluetooth connectivity, single DIN is also fine.
The stock location is horrible for navigation, so I did not bother with a double DIN unit.
Select a headunit to your taste and buy the frame to match the radio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts