MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2003 1zz MR2
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my short time owning this car, one of the primary concerns of mine has been engine cooling. I was standing in my garage today checking the oil in my Spyder and noticed this cover on the inside of the engine compartment lid. It covers all of the vents in the compartment lip. So being the practical man that I am, I removed it and it seems to me like it would allow the engine to vent hot air better. Does anybody have any experience or perspective on this?
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Tire

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire

· Registered
2003 1zz MR2
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve always thought the same thing too, but I just left it there because I figured Toyota put it there for some reason…
My assumption was introducing water into the engine compartment. However I live in San Diego which gets very little rain, I park my car inside and don’t drive this car in the rain.

· Super Moderator
3,471 Posts
Yes indeed, the rain tray is there to keep rain and other debris from falling directly into the engine bay. It still makes it's way in there somehow, and I run bare-assed all over the country with none-zero of the plastic covers I'm supposed to have.

So I say go for it.

· Registered
5,868 Posts
Yes it is a rain tray. Rain water will collect in the spark plug valleys and short the coils. I have no reason to remove it as cooling is well thought out for the spyder.

· Registered
2003 1zz MR2
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes indeed, the rain tray is there to keep rain and other debris from falling directly into the engine bay. It still makes it's way in there somehow, and I run bare-assed all over the country with none-zero of the plastic covers I'm supposed to have.

So I say go for it.
Haha I actually did it before I made the post 😂. Now I am plotting on building a setup for 2 pushing fans into the engine bay. I am inspired by Setup that I saw on Midship Garage. However I am too cheap to pay $825 plus tax and shipping. I figure it should maybe cost me about $150 if I use SPAL fans or maybe about $90 if I use some generic no name electric fans. I am just gonna wire up an on/off switch in the dash and see how much difference I can see on my IAT.

Midship Garage - Toyota MR2 Spyder, MR-S - Engine Lid Dual Fan & Shrou

· Registered
'02 6 spd Manual (C66)
806 Posts
Even though you're in droughtville like me. (I'm in NorCal) when there is a downpour and you're going to drive it I'd say put it on. I'd also not take off the spark plug cover off the valve cover unless you want water in your spark plug holes. The farthest plug on the right (passenger side) had rust in mine despite me having the cover. (my car is used, many owners before me)

· Registered
2,711 Posts
If you had a 2zz removing that cover would be maddening (the spark plugs flood very easily compared to 1zz). IIRC the debate was whether air flow is most efficient in or out of those vents...I believe most ppl go with exhaust fans, not fans which introduce airflow to the engine compartment from above. If not kept in a garage I would keep that drip tray in place to avoid chasing down misfires after bad weather or a car wash

Reactions: ISpy

· Registered
2,369 Posts
I have a 2zz and I do not use the "rain tray". The plastic over the 1zz valve cover, covers more than what the 2zz plastic does. I live on southern CA and it does not rain a lot, but I will still drive my car in the rain.

If you aim water at the oil cap when you wash the car you will get water over the spark plugs. I do believe that omitting the tray does a good job of getting rid of heat, especially when your car is stopped after driving hard - second only to opening the engine lid, which is a common practice.

If you wash your car normally you can take off the plastic garnish and see just how much water finds its way over your spark plugs just to see. The 1zz cover does a good job of covering the plugs.

· Registered
2,092 Posts
So in my short time owning this car, one of the primary concerns of mine has been engine cooling. I was standing in my garage today checking the oil in my Spyder and noticed this cover on the inside of the engine compartment lid. It covers all of the vents in the compartment lip. So being the practical man that I am, I removed it and it seems to me like it would allow the engine to vent hot air better. Does anybody have any experience or perspective on this?
You shouldn't judge engine cooling by how hot it seems in the engine compartment. It is going to be hot and that is OK. The engine is cooled by the radiator. The rain tray doesn't significantly reduce the convective or ram-air cooling of the engine compartment. Part of what you notice heat-wise is because you removed the header heat shields. Your aftermarket headers have heat shield mounting tabs. Just don't wrap the headers.

Dave

· Registered
Hunting for XS-B Meta
151 Posts
I always assumed that the low pressure area behind the rear glass would draw air out of the vents regardless of the rain tray. The air doesn't flow quickly, the rain tray isn't really stopping the flow, I bet.

· Registered
6,342 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a solution looking for a problem. I've seldom heard of any Spyder having cooling issues of any type.

Like many others, I've removed the rain tray and, like many others, noticed no difference in anything performance-related. The worst I can think of is that cold water will drip on a red hot header which might warp it, or at least cause rust. Indeed, my PPE header rusted to shit over a period of years in Southern California. On the other hand, reducing heat in the engine bay may result in longer lasting rubber things. It's debatable if removing the rain tray reduced the temperature of the engine bay. I can't recall seeing any evidence.

I removed mine to get rid of the weight of the piece and I wouldn't do it again. I'd like my header to last more than a few years - those things are expensive.

· Registered
2003 1zz MR2
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You shouldn't judge engine cooling by how hot it seems in the engine compartment. It is going to be hot and that is OK. The engine is cooled by the radiator. The rain tray doesn't significantly reduce the convective or ram-air cooling of the engine compartment. Part of what you notice heat-wise is because you removed the header heat shields. Your aftermarket headers have heat shield mounting tabs. Just don't wrap the headers.

Dave
I agree with the Header heat shield, I am actually planning on putting it back on this afternoon.

· Registered
281 Posts
Even though you're in droughtville like me. (I'm in NorCal) when there is a downpour and you're going to drive it I'd say put it on. I'd also not take off the spark plug cover off the valve cover unless you want water in your spark plug holes. The farthest plug on the right (passenger side) had rust in mine despite me having the cover. (my car is used, many owners before me)
Hey neighbor. Watch out for dem smog gestapos.

· Registered
2003 1zz MR2
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds to me like you have a solution looking for a problem. I've seldom heard of any Spyder having cooling issues of any type.

Like many others, I've removed the rain tray and, like many others, noticed no difference in anything performance-related. The worst I can think of is that cold water will drip on a red hot header which might warp it, or at least cause rust. Indeed, my PPE header rusted to shit over a period of years in Southern California. On the other hand, reducing heat in the engine bay may result in longer lasting rubber things. It's debatable if removing the rain tray reduced the temperature of the engine bay. I can't recall seeing any evidence.

I removed mine to get rid of the weight of the piece and I wouldn't do it again. I'd like my header to last more than a few years - those things are expensive.
Yeah this isn’t the first time I have been accused of not being able to leave well enough alone!!! 😬

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.