MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my brother is parting out his 2001 Audi A4 and he has a Bose sound system in it. Would I be able to run his Bose speakers (which are 2 ohms impedence if I did my homework right) in my spyder while keeping the stock tweeters? The Audi tweeters are 2" btw, so no chance of swapping those. And I'm not sure if I would need only to upgrade the head unit as well or if an amp is absolutely necessary. As of right now I was planning only on swapping the door speakers. I'll end it with my usual disclaimer: I'm a total noob at this so any info is appreciated :scrock:

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
Electrically, there'll be no real problem with the tweeters. However, if the impedence of the Bose speakers is lower than the OEM speakers the tweeters will be a few dB down. You may not even notice it.

Of more concern is the ability of the head unit to drive the Bose speakers. It's OK to connect higher than design spec speakers, but not lower impedence speakers.

Another consideration is the physical installation. Will the Bose speakers even fit?

Agreed and to add to it, Bose car stereo stuff is crap and it's not even made by Bose although their self contained units do run on an active system that have electronic crossovers in the head unit.

These days car and camera manufactures licence names and then sell you on this phony stuff like Panasonic/Leica and Sony/Carl Zeiss .

If you want the real deal then pick up Amar's 901s and be done with it. I actually have vintage 301s and they still sound spectacular.

If we were talking about Audi Bangs and Olufsen then that is a different.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeah Dev's right. Bose speakers have been crap for a long time. What Bose puts into marketing true audio companies put into r&d and quality components.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
Yeah Dev's right. Bose speakers have been crap for a long time. What Bose puts into marketing true audio companies put into r&d and quality components.
Well actually Bose still makes good speakers but you need to pay for them. They slap Bose on everything these days and there is so much in Bose's line up.

Bose continuous approach to audio is revolutionary that only an MIT professor can deliver however he is probably so far removed from the budget stuff these days.

When it comes to audio taste Bose is great for classical and Jazz not pop or heavy metal . I like Bose for it's clarity and even before there was surround sound this company offered a surround sound experience by using reflective acoustics.

Is there better for the money? of course there is but if you are unknown to high fidelity like my Brother-in-law and have the money then Bose will make good audio simple stupid for him in a nice little package.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Don't know about the Audi setup, but in a Maxima that Mrs. DB once had with a Bose system (actually the head was made by Clarion) the speakers had individual amps.

Mrs. DB's CTS-V with a Bose system has only OK sound, nothing spectacular. But in that car, I prefer the sound of the exhaust note anyway.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well actually Bose still makes good speakers but you need to pay for them. They slap Bose on everything these days and there is so much in Bose's line up.

Bose continuous approach to audio is revolutionary that only an MIT professor can deliver however he is probably so far removed from the budget stuff these days.

When it comes to audio taste Bose is great for classical and Jazz not pop or heavy metal . I like Bose for it's clarity and even before there was surround sound this company offered a surround sound experience by using reflective acoustics.

Is there better for the money? of course there is but if you are unknown to high fidelity like my Brother-in-law and have the money then Bose will make good audio simple stupid for him in a nice little package.
Sorry Dev but building your speakers from paper cones and using equalizers to hide the fact is poor quality... They may sound good but are certainly not good quality. Plus their cinemas series doesn't even use a true woofer. Just some mid range speakers that are ported...

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
Sorry Dev but building your speakers from paper cones and using equalizers to hide the fact is poor quality... They may sound good but are certainly not good quality. Plus their cinemas series doesn't even use a true woofer. Just some mid range speakers that are ported...
I use to think that too and wondered why they never adapted polypropylene but have come to realize there is nothing at all wrong with paper if it is implemented right. I have gone through many speakers that had these exotic materials and they did not make the woofer however I found tweeter material to be more important and it's dependent on taste of the listener.

I have also found what makes the system sound the best is though equalization and Bose was one of the first mainstream audio to implement it and make a well balanced system in their acoustimass units. I have one of the very first acousimass systems from the early 90s and it sill sounds better then my new Energy speaker system and just think it's 20 years old and uses paper cones.

Like I said there is better out there but you really need to do your research then you have to do the tuning to get the best out of them which is not easy.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think it's really the last 10 to 12 years they have really gone downhill.

I will give you that they must have some amazing people doing equalization for them, I guess I just don't really like the tiny drivers and lack of a true subwoofer in their systems.

Sorry for thread jacking Bob.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I think it's really the last 10 to 12 years they have really gone downhill.

I will give you that they must have some amazing people doing equalization for them, I guess I just don't really like the tiny drivers and lack of a true subwoofer in their systems.

Sorry for thread jacking Bob.
Nothing wrong with tiny drivers and most of their systems employ a tuned sub woofer.
No you can't crank up the volume on them but for the right amount of listening volume they offer a great deal of clarity and balance.
Like I said before you can do better but you will need to equalize your system if you want to exceed the performance of the Bose system. Equalizing a system is not an easy thing to do and most people don't have the equipment, time or knowledge to do so.

Would I purchase another Bose system, probably not but I do recommend them to friends and family that are looking for good sound that is easy to implement with a small foot print.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was just something I was considering to try as a quick and easy upgrade on one of my days off so I just wanted to know if it was possible, and if it didnt work out I would go right back to the stock setup anyway. I was also considering trying to pirate his entire speaker setup, HU included. And when you ask why, remember I'm a student and tuition isn't cheap - so dont judge me lol

And as for the thread jacking, as long as its not flaming its all good...discussion is what forums are for :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
It was just something I was considering to try as a quick and easy upgrade on one of my days off so I just wanted to know if it was possible, and if it didnt work out I would go right back to the stock setup anyway. I was also considering trying to pirate his entire speaker setup, HU included. And when you ask why, remember I'm a student and tuition isn't cheap - so dont judge me lol

And as for the thread jacking, as long as its not flaming its all good...discussion is what forums are for :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a thread jack around here. I would certianly go for a different setup over then trying to over engineering something .

If you are going to be ruining your speakers without an amp look towards getting a set of coaxials that run efficient. One of the big problems people make is purchasing a pair of speakers that need amps for them to come to life.

·
Registered
471 Posts

Hey no judgement is passed as long as its a legit question haha. I picked up the 6020cs speakers. They wernt pricey and they are a nice upgrade to the stock speakers.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Nothing wrong with paper cones. It is best to stop looking a car stereo gear ads with enhanced babes and read some specs. Better, go listen to some gear. Trust your ears, not your eyes.

Bose spends a great deal on marketing and some on engineering and patents. We need more Bose out there. They keep me busy...fixing or replacing them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.