MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. ive been having this problem for about a week now. everytime i put my 2001 mr2 into first gear and about to take off i hear rattling sound from the engine. first i thought it was the air intake thats touching the metal and making that sound so i tied the intake really tight but i still hear the same sound so its not actually the intake. rattling noise is coming from the engine i guess.
but the thing is when i have the car in 1st gear and if rpm is higher than 2500 it doest make rattling sound it only does that when rpm is lower than 2500. and i also hear it in 2nd gear if i dont shift it right. can someone please help and tell what really can be? i showed it to a mechanic right next to my house but he was leaving work at that time so he quickly looked at it while i put it in 1st gear and let the clutch go half way and engine made really heavy sound so he said he thinks it can be engine mount. but wasnt sure hes gonna come back to work on tuesday and will take a look at it.
if someone experienced this with their car what was the problem? or if someone can help me figure it out it will be really help full thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same problem. Rattle ~3000 RPM and above. I think its the water shield on the engine lid. I stuck a sticky foam in between the middle back side of it and vibration had minimized, but still there. see if you have the same problem

yea I'll deff check. But its funny mine does it when it's under 2500 RPM. anything over 2500 it doesn't make any sound.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Often, sounds that are described as "rattling" are caused by loose heat shields.
Commonly loose heat shields include the ones around the main catalytic converter.
Yea I hope it's the heat shields n I hope it's nothing major because I was thinking something is wrong with the engine itself. But let's see I'm getting it checked out in few days

·
Registered
354 Posts
yea I'll deff check. But its funny mine does it when it's under 2500 RPM. anything over 2500 it doesn't make any sound.
Oh I see. Try slapping the engine lid with hand a few times and see if you hear the same sound. mine obviously did produce the same sound.

GOod LUck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.