MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, silly noob question, but I'm looking for input from people who have more data to draw from on the difference in time between top tier race tires and rs3's, provided the camber is set right for both, right wheel widths, etc.

I'm figuring it is probably a little north of 1 second per minute, more on tight courses, less on open courses with lots of WOT potential. Thoughts based on real world observations?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
That does not sound too far off from what I have seen when comparing other car setups. Although I have not seen any type of back to back testing that included a correct setup for both types of tires.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm figuring it is probably a little north of 1 second per minute, more on tight courses, less on open courses with lots of WOT potential. Thoughts based on real world observations?
You are very close to the truth. I say it is more like 1.5 seconds on a 60 seconds course with the same tire/wheel size.

I saw a bigger difference but I was running 13" wheel/tire combo. I love my 13s.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard of his test before. The problem with the test is the tires it compares. I think the RS-3 is a much faster tire than the XS.

in their own testing on the same car, but with 7.5" wheels instead of 8" or 9", the RS3 was ~0.4 seconds faster per minute than the XS. So extrapolating, that implies they would have found about a 1.4 second per minute difference with the RS3, and maybe a 1.2 second difference on a car that isn't so forward grip sensitive and with wheels that are the right width for the tires. pretty weak evidence though...

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are very close to the truth. I say it is more like 1.5 seconds on a 60 seconds course with the same tire/wheel size.

I saw a bigger difference but I was running 13" wheel/tire combo. I love my 13s.
Yeah. I am really, really going to miss the power difference and convenient race only lowering if I decide to go STR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts