MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up some paint supplies and am going to respray my stock 03+ wheels due to corrosion. I didn't really get a good glance, but it seems like the face of the wheel is not painted, but more of a machined polished look. It looks like I'm going to have to mask off the face and paint the rest, but I guess some people just spray the whole wheel? Is there a difference for the 03+ wheels?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I just picked up some paint supplies and am going to respray my stock 03+ wheels due to corrosion. I didn't really get a good glance, but it seems like the face of the wheel is not painted, but more of a machined polished look. It looks like I'm going to have to mask off the face and paint the rest, but I guess some people just spray the whole wheel? Is there a difference for the 03+ wheels?
The 03+ wheels do have the machined face.

I think you should be able to scuff them up and then primer and paint them without issue though.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 03+ wheels do have the machined face.

I think you should be able to scuff them up and then primer and paint them without issue though.
Ok, I thought so. I like the look of the machined face, very shiny. I guess I'll mask it off, paint the rest of the wheel, then polish the face.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get them powder coated. Any spray can paint will peel off after a short while. Lucky if they will last a couple of months.
Never said it was spray paint, using PPG primer and paint. You should NEVER powdercoat alloy wheels. It weakens the wheel.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
For what it is worth, the machined face is clear coated form the factory. I found out the hard way by cleaning with a scotch-bright pad and destroyed the clear-coat. I then had to have them sanded down and polished. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have cleaned the machined surface with a scotch-bright pad. I don't know if that information helps, but thought I'd pass along my experience . . . and lessons learned. :lol:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Get them powder coated. Any spray can paint will peel off after a short while. Lucky if they will last a couple of months.
I spray painted my 93 wheels on my mk2, I did it the correct way you should paint, spent about a week doing them and paint held up for years, even after changing tires they didn't chip, It's all in the prep, any paint will chip if it isn't prepped correctly

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
For what it is worth, the machined face is clear coated form the factory. I found out the hard way by cleaning with a scotch-bright pad and destroyed the clear-coat. I then had to have them sanded down and polished. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have cleaned the machined surface with a scotch-bright pad. I don't know if that information helps, but thought I'd pass along my experience . . . and lessons learned. :lol:

Thanks! I was concerned about that too. I will probably leave the face alone then, but if they don't look good I can always clear them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.