·
Registered
627 Posts
I would add the 06 Chevy Aveo

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd add Buick Rendezvous, Suzuki X90.

Actually, there's a couple on the list I like.
Chrysler Imperial Lebaron ( I owned a 1970 Plymouth Fury III a few years ago)
Chevy SSR (Who doesn't need a hardtop convertible pickup for dump runs?)
Prowler ( How many of these have you seen lately?)
DeLorean

I like unusual cars. Nothing bores me more than going to a car show and seeing 15 Orange 2010 Challenger SRT8's in a row.

That's why I have a Spyder! (and a 1965 Plymouth Barracua)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'll add the obvious loser (or is it winner?) of worst of all time. Chevy Vega. "Fill it with oil and check the gas." I had one and swore of GM cars after that. Never owned another until I bought Mrs. DB the CTS-V last year. That was almost 40 years.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Gee, I must be a poor judge of cars. I owned 2 Pintos and 2 Corvairs (later models - a 65 Corsa and 66 4 door). As for the worst I ever owned, I would select an Olds F85 with the aluminum V8 (it ate oil like a Vega - 1 qt per 100 miles) and Ford Falcon which was the worst handling car I ever drove. Very scary on off ramps.

Most of the crappy cars I have owned were crappy because they were old and worn out. :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
How does one define "worst," or "failure?"

The authors put the Chrysler Airflow on the list because it was 20 years ahead of it's time? Seems a bit harsh to me. With that kind or reasoning why should any manufacturer strive to innovate and move the industry forward? I'm surprised the Tucker wasn't listed: front wheel drive, directional headlight, aerodynamic styling - what's not to like, but it bombed big-time! A few that I would add to the list include the 4-seater T-Birds of the late 50's and early 60's that killed the marquee, the really stupid Lincolns of the early 70's that fall into the same category as the Cimaron (BMW-fighters, with both hands tied and blind-folded), and a whole family of Ford II,s, which were cheap attempts at reprising previous home runs (Mustang II, LTD II, and the hideous reincarnation of the Thunderbird at the beginning of the last decade. It seemed like Ford was trying to make up for effing up the 'Bird in '58' so it tried to pretend it's 1957 again, only with disc brakes, FI and a touch of homely - but by all means keep the portholes!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Insurance on tantrums

My brother had a Vega.....:lol:
He got supremely pissed with it, and on its last tantrum, he had a tantrum of his own: He *destroyed* that thing with a Bobcat loader while I watched horrified, yelling stuff like "Calm Down!" "Take It Easy!" all to no avail.
Can I assume your brother's claim was denied, or did he successfully make the case that the Vega was trashed by vandals and left for dead?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The authors put the Chrysler Airflow on the list because it was 20 years ahead of it's time? Seems a bit harsh to me. With that kind or reasoning why should any manufacturer strive to innovate and move the industry forward? I'm surprised the Tucker wasn't listed: front wheel drive, directional headlight, aerodynamic styling - what's not to like, but it bombed big-time! A few that I would add to the list include the 4-seater T-Birds of the late 50's and early 60's that killed the marquee, the really stupid Lincolns of the early 70's that fall into the same category as the Cimaron (BMW-fighters, with both hands tied and blind-folded), and a whole family of Ford II,s, which were cheap attempts at reprising previous home runs (Mustang II, LTD II, and the hideous reincarnation of the Thunderbird at the beginning of the last decade. It seemed like Ford was trying to make up for effing up the 'Bird in '58' so it tried to pretend it's 1957 again, only with disc brakes, FI and a touch of homely - but by all means keep the portholes!
I guess you don't like Fords very much?

While I agree on the Mustang II and Fords like the Fairmont and Tempo were real piles of dung (my wife called her company car the "Tempo dog"), they were typical of many American cars of the era. The late 50's T-birds and suicide door Lincolns are considered classics by many. By the way, I am not a Ford guy. My only American vehicle at the moment is a GMC truck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fords

I guess you don't like Fords very much?

While I agree on the Mustang II and Fords like the Fairmont and Tempo were real piles of dung (my wife called her company car the "Tempo dog"), they were typical of many American cars of the era. The late 50's T-birds and suicide door Lincolns are considered classics by many. By the way, I am not a Ford guy. My only American vehicle at the moment is a GMC truck
Actually, I grew up around some great Ford products, including two of my favorites, the Sun Valley and Skyliner - Ford and Mercs with the front half of their roofs tinted glass. Real hothouses in the summer, but cool beyond words to a kid. The old flathead V-8's of the 40s and early 50's were iconic iron, and the products that Ford is building now may be the best America has to offer. Like all Detroit builders, the 70's and 80's were sorry times for domestic cars, and I probably have a special burr under my saddle for the way Ford seemed to transform some of their best products into cheap imitations. Just as the Cimmaron was a blinged up Nova, the Lincoln Zephyr was a rebadged LTD II. I suspect that underneath the Mustang II lurked the legacy chassis of a Maverick. Union labor costs nearly killed the industry, and the Big Three basically threw in the towel. Ironically, it was a Ford guy (Iaccoca) who saved Chrysler's ass when he moved from Dearborn to Auburn Hills and put a box on the pathetic K-car chassis and started the mini-van revolution. All this has nothing to do with Spyders of course, so excuse my rant. I'm a product of the 50's when America owned an industry made up of proud names that are no longer a part of our landscape. Who would have believed that Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, and Plymouth would no longer be seen in showrooms, much less at a NASCAR track?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts