MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was cruising craigslist today, and saw something that made me raise an eyebrow. Two of the cars I went to look last september are still for sale... same vendors too. The green one turned out to be a salvage title. To the dealers credit they disclosed it, but if I hadn't learned that, I might be driving a green/tan spyder right now.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/ctd/2786918593.html

The silver in the second link had NO OIL in the engine. I figured it sat so long that the dipstick just wasn't picking any up. Still had no oil after test drive as well. But it does still have the change holder, which mine is sadly lacking.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/ctd/2744940792.html

Both of these spyders have been for sale (perhaps on and off) for over a year and perhaps a lot longer.

So to anyone looking out there, cruddy deals are out there waiting for you... and you can find them if you look hard enough.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
For the 2nd one, I guess it's just a matter of time before the motor seizes on the test drive.

·
Banned
569 Posts
Just an fyi; Oil not registering wont seize the motor lol. The dipstick mark on most cars equals one quart. So out of 4.5qts it might have 3.4qts and not register. You don't know till you add oil or drain and replace.

Driving it with 3.4qts isn't detrimental, but not ideal. I wouldn't "not" buy a (good deal) car until I'd verified what the oil situation was...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, less than full isn't the worst, but I figured that the test drive would have splashed a little on the dipstick... even a drop. Nothing... bone dry.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Send that oil out for analysis!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Just an fyi; Oil not registering wont seize the motor lol. The dipstick mark on most cars equals one quart. So out of 4.5qts it might have 3.4qts and not register. You don't know till you add oil or drain and replace.

Driving it with 3.4qts isn't detrimental, but not ideal. I wouldn't "not" buy a (good deal) car until I'd verified what the oil situation was...

I just want to point out that if there is no oil at all on the dipstick, most cars are more than one quart low. As previously stated the mark on most all dipsticks equals one quart. That is correct, but the dipstick on most cars extends down at least another inch or so beyond that, the low, or add oil mark is not the end of the dipstick. That will make most cars with no oil on the stick at least 2 quarts low. Most 4 cylinder cars these days hold 4 quarts. That means that at most there is 2 quarts left in the engine, not 3.4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts