MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My rear right brake caliper is shot. Car parts stores over here lists different calipers for model year 00-02 and 02-up. The 02-up calipers are widely available for acceptable prizes. The 00-02 however is only available from mr T at outrageous prices, almost 950 usd per Piece!!!!

So:
Does anyone know if the 02- calipers are a direct fit on a -00 MR2?
If not, what else would need to be changed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Yes they should work.
I have a set of good condition used ones if you are interested. You should replace the calipers in pairs.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Interesting -- I looked up the specs. Bore on the 2003+ is 45.5mm; bore on the 2000-2002 is 45mm. Fronts are the same. So the bias is a teeny tiny bit different on the 2003+.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are a bit rusty. The auto tensioner for the hand brake does not work on the right side, only the left.

Labour is expensive over here, so buying a new caliper is probably more cost effective than rebuilding. That is if I can get it some place else than mr. T. :huh:

According to my info the difference in caliper piston size is either 45mm or 51mm...:confused:

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
They are a bit rusty. The auto tensioner for the hand brake does not work on the right side, only the left.

Labour is expensive over here, so buying a new caliper is probably more cost effective than rebuilding. That is if I can get it some place else than mr. T. :huh:

According to my info the difference in caliper piston size is either 45mm or 51mm...:confused:
Unless I'm mistaken, the fronts are 51mm (well, 50.8mm) bore.

They're a simple rebuild EXCEPT for the hand brake assembly... I always have issues with getting the manual bits apart.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless I'm mistaken, the fronts are 51mm (well, 50.8mm) bore.

They're a simple rebuild EXCEPT for the hand brake assembly... I always have issues with getting the manual bits apart.
Ahh.....! You're probably right on that one. I just saw the info on a screen in the car parts store.

May I ask what the price of the rebuild kit is in the US?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts