MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for this tool so I can change my rear pads. I found the tool at a Toyota site but it is $170. I can't seem to find it at my local auto store websites... Pepboys, Advance Auto, and NAPA. Anybody know the correct part number?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I found the tool to return the piston to the home position at a local auto store. About $15.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'm looking for the cube looking tool that runs around $15 - $30. However, if the above mentioned tool can compress the rear caliper, I can probably rent it for free from my local auto store. I'll check it out.

I heard you can use pliers but I'm planning to compress it w/o bleading/releasing some brake fluid. This is why I want to have to right tool to make it easy.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
you can get the brake cube for about $5 at harbor freight, or just use some pliers/screwdriver

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I heard you can use pliers but I'm planning to compress it w/o bleading/releasing some brake fluid. This is why I want to have to right tool to make it easy.
You definitely want to have the bleeder open. It will make it much easier. You also get rid of some old fluid while creating a really good mess. Once you've got it reassembled, one press on the brake pedal with the bleeder open will get rid of any air that might have been introduced. Make sure you close the bleeder while the pedal is on the floor.

Once you get brake fluid on your hands, don't touch the car - brake fluid is a really good paint remover.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Harbor Freight Item 97143 $42.00 works great and you don't need to open bleeder.
5 star review....this is what I use !!

·
Registered
216 Posts
does the amazon tool make it that much easier? Because I did my brakes once with the cube, but borrowed my friends and it was a hassle.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
i just use the tips on a open end wrench then put a crescent wrench on to the wrench and twist works fantastic :lol:

·
Premium Member
'03 MR2 Spyder * '10 128i * '14 4Runner SR5
65 Posts
Just to clarify, the BGB says you need this tool to do the rear brakes, but it calls out the following part numbers: 09719-14020 (09719–00020). The second part number, the one in parentheses, is sort of a T-handled driver. The first part number is a kit, consisting of both the T-handled driver, and a C-clamp-type compressor (itself part number 09719-00010 ).

Now, the kit is stupid expensive, but both parts are actually available individually, and the T-handled driver is not super expensive. The fact that it is separately called out in parentheses, and the fact that the diagram in the BGB only appears to show the use of the T-handled tool, makes me think it is the only piece of the kit that is required. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts