MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search for a while and did not find what I was looking for.

What I want to know is what and how many bolts are involved with attaching the rear diaper(00-02)?

How many machine bolts? "Wood screw" type bolts? Metal clips? Plastic rivets? Whatever is needed.

I don't need part numbers, just what kind and quantities. By the way, this info should be in some sort of sticky thread with how to properly change your oil.

I don't have my Spyder anymore and I would like this info for the buyers of my diapers so I can provide the correct hardware to attach the diapers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sorry, I can't actually help, but I have to say this:
Why would you ever want to put the diaper back on!?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not the one putting it back on, I removed mine when I had the Spyder.

This is for one of my buyers of a diaper. That is their choice, I don't judge. I'm just trying to help them out.

I agree, I wouldn't and didn't have the diaper installed.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From my poor memory, and one online photo, I think it has:
6 machine screws
2 sheet metal screws
2 plastic push-button rivets
This is helpful, thank you.

If we can get some conformation on this that would be great.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 sheet metal screws.
Thanks!

Again, someone should make this a sticky attached to how to change your oil. I'm surprised that it doesn't exist already.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but...
I put it back on because the car was designed with it on. I would ask the question why would you not put it on? I assume that airflow is better with it on. Surely, there is no structural benefit.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Welcome. I'm the village car idiot and I need for someone to explain to me what is a "diaper" and how can I tell if I have one or not. Yes, I'm afraid that my car might crap itself. No, I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
544 Posts
From my poor memory, and one online photo, I think it has:
6 machine screws (M6x1mm pitch)
2 sheet metal screws
2 plastic push-button rivets
If you're counting both pieces, the one under the engine and the one under the muffler there are three (3) plastic push button rivets. Two on the mid piece and one on the muffler cover.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but...
I put it back on because the car was designed with it on. I would ask the question why would you not put it on? I assume that airflow is better with it on. Surely, there is no structural benefit.
Because most of us feel is was done for aesthetics, maybe to quiet things down on the highway or improve fuel economy. Most of us think it did so at the expense of engine bay temperature. It tends to grow brittle and crack...come loose on the highway, etc.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I recall 7 screws and 2 push-button clips. I don't recall the screws being different types.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
There's three sheet-metal type screws along the under-bumper area. Two push-poppets up under the wheel wells. And three machine screws forward of that - two on each forward edge and one that secures the center section of the rear diaper and overlaps with the center shield center rear.

Now, as to whether the part is necessary, well of course of it isn't. Many owners have removed it.

I think they are vandal idiots.

The car came with this part to protect the motor from thrown rocks, road debris, tar, grime, and all manner of mischief. It probably gives a slight aerodynamic edge as well, but I don't care about that - I want cleanliness.

The person who rips this part off the car and throws it away is lazy. He or she is tired of the effort of removing and reinstalling it. So. This person then fabricates a fantasy: "I took it off and my engine didn't get any dirtier."

That's a lie. A bald-faced, blatant, flat-out falsehood. Take the shield off, your motor will get begrimed as a matter of course. Good maintenance means keeping everything as clean as you possibly can. So I've kept mine (I've even got a spare). Adds some time to maintenance jobs but I say it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
SE, something I have wondered about is whether removing it has any effect on the amount of air coming in the side vents at road speed. I can't help but think that it is related to air flow in some way. Evidently not a critical way as many have removed it. I understand the cleanliness part, but wonder if that is all that it does.

Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
489 Posts
There is a plastic splash shield under the engine and another one under the muffler.
These are the "diapers".
Thank you so much for the explanation. I know exactly what you guys are talking about now. Mine developed a crack (split) and it was hanging low on the left side. My dad was able to fix it for me and I haven't had anymore issues. Just so that I know for in the future, is it o.k. to remove it?

·
Registered
578 Posts
SE, something I have wondered about is whether removing it has any effect on the amount of air coming in the side vents at road speed. I can't help but think that it is related to air flow in some way. Evidently not a critical way as many have removed it. I understand the cleanliness part, but wonder if that is all that it does.

Any thoughts on that?
Not addressed to me, but I'll chime in anyway.
As OldMan pointed out, Toyota refers to this part as a "splash guard." Here in puddle city, that's all the convincing I need. If it helps keep water out of the engine compartment, I'm all in favor. Any possible aero benefits are gravy.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
something I have wondered about is whether removing it has any effect on the amount of air coming in the side vents at road speed
It might have an effect. Since the guard has vents in it fore and aft, and has openings at the sides, it's hard to see how enough pressure could build to repel incoming air from the vents.

People mount oil coolers up by the passenger's side vent, which has to be a more significant blockage, but that doesn't reduce cooling.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts