MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience on removing the rear exhaust heat shield and how to do it without taking the bumper off? I have a nice stainless exhaust and muffler and you have a very obstructed view.

Thank you!

Caulen

·
Registered
178 Posts
With a dremel you can remove anything, if you prefer more traditional methods you need to take the bumper cover off.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Take the time and do it right. I’d say 20 minutes to remove lights and the maybe 10 bolts. Think of it as an opportunity to confirm there is no short cut.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I agree with ISpy, Bumper cover removal is 20 minutes of work. I’d be careful removing the heat shield. The bumper cover is made of thermo plastic. I had an exhaust joint come loose (crappy weld) and drove the car for 15 minutes. In that time the hot exhaust melted the bumper cover. The heat shield protects the plastic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Without that shield the paint will go into like spider webs as the heat gets to it. It doesn't weigh much , maybe not even a lb. You could paint it body colour.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
8 Posts
I would use a heat reflector or insulator on the backside of the bumper. Something that sticks on.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I would use a heat reflector or insulator on the backside of the bumper. Something that sticks on.
I would not count on that working. The effectiveness of a heat shield depends on the air gap. Somewhat better than nothing, but nothing like the original.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm surprised no one brought up ceramic coating the exhaust components & then removing the heat shield. Of course there's a huge cost involved with all that

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't have a heat shield since I have a PPE header and I don't have any issues with my paint...
They aren’t referring to the header shield, they are referring to the shield behind the stock muffler, just in front of the rear bumper (which many ppl run without after installing custom exhausts anyway)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yah I don’t have any of the heat shields left except the ones that bolt to the cradle to partition off the intake. No problems with paint on my bumper. The paint on the “X” brace in the engine bay and the top cross bar in the engine bay though got rough from heat. But that was because I used rustoleum satin clear and I should have used a high temp clear.

The ones seen in the picture are the only ones I’ve ever had with aftermarket exhaust and I’ve never had a single issue with the factory paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm surprised no one brought up ceramic coating the exhaust components & then removing the heat shield. Of course there's a huge cost involved with all that
Ceramic coating is not going to make that much of a difference in how much heat radiation comes off the exhaust. The headers will still be glowing cherry-red-hot at full power. Also, I am not convinced that the durability of Ceramic coatings is very good on systems that frequently see full-power

1 - 15 of 15 Posts