MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am havving issues opening the engine compatment lid on my Spyder. When I first try it I need 2 people, one to hold the lever as the other pulls up. After several opening and closings it seems fine. I have replaced the latch, checked with a screwdriver by closing the latch then opening with the hood open. The latch triggers while there is still plenty of room on the cable. Tried adjusting the stops. But its still not reliable. Its tough cause I think I got it, only to have trouble the next time I try to open it. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My spyder's engine lid did the same when I got it. I just adjusted the rubber stops out to the point where i couldn't close the lid at all, then slowly tightened them back in until I could just get the lid to latch. That seemed to fix the issue for me. You may have tried this already since you did say you have tried adjusting them.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
The cable is stretching. I made the cable "shorter" by putting washers before the stop. Notched them and slipped them on, and bent them back. Works perfectly. Right above the spring you can see the washers.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have the same issue. This winter I installed a new cable and lever assembly (thought the cable was streched). It worked for a very short period but now when the engine is warm I have to pull the lever while having someone pull up on the hood (with a cold engine and it works fine) I'm gonna add washers or spacers as someone mentioned above. I have an 03.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had this when I bought mine, I usually took out my wallet and wedged it under the pulled latch to keep it released. This was you can put the hood up. Oddly, this seems to have fixed itself and the latch usually works as it was designed to these days.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Fiddling with the exact location of the latch fixed the problem.
That was my cure, also.

That, plus I keep a 10" piece of 8ga solid wire with a loop in the glove box "just in case." Shockingly easy to get into the engine compartment. Good thing most 1ZZ-spyder owners keep nothing of value there. :)

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Or go buy a universal electric engine release. Pretty easy to wire up. Keep the manual as a back up. Also adjust the rubber stops under the engine hood. That will help for a bit but after awhile youll go back to having the same issue. The electric release is only about 25 bucks.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
I've MOVED since you both saw where I was last parked. I have also installed a Trunk Monkey.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've MOVED since you both saw where I was last parked. I have also installed a Trunk Monkey.
Don't wanna mess with the TRUNK MONKEY, yours must be roasted, I've got the FRUNK MONKEY!!!!!

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
What happens when your TRUNK MONKEY goes out to lunch...lol

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
If you see a red soccer-mom van with an engine hoist sticking out the back following you around the neighborhood, pay no attention. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Mine was acting up for a short period. I used to keep a pack of gum in the car to jam the pull so I could walk behind and open the back (Hi-tech, I know). It spontaneously resolved so I won't question it for now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts