MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car failed state inspection due to the circled bushing. They want $400+ to replace the whole carrier and wheel bearing from Toyota.

I have seen that some people suggest that the moog K200034 available on Amazon works as a replacment without replacing the whole knuckle.

Has anyone actually done this long term? Any issues?

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is a bushing off of the 4wd Celica ST165 or ST185 which one of the vendors sells. It is an exact match except for the inner diameter of the bolt. You can either put in a sleeve or make the bolt bigger. I was trying to go this route except that despite everything I threw at it I could not get the existing bushing out. I ended up buying two ebay rear uprights for < 100 each. They were serviceable.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You really don't want to replace this bearing with a rubber bushing. The Two's RUS Celica bearing is the proper way to go. Look elsewhere in this topic for some examples of tools that will do a good job of pressing out the old bearing without even having to remove the hub from the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Used every tool I could find/make including various presses and pullers. I think cutting it out is about the only thing that will work.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Used every tool I could find/make including various presses and pullers. I think cutting it out is about the only thing that will work.
Basically, a long bolt or threaded rod plus some washers and right-sized sockets will pull the bushing right out. A bit of heat from a propane torch also helps

Dave

·
Registered
229 Posts
There are 10 and 12 ton Taiwan and Chinese mainland hydraulic pullers available with accessory tooling.. I used one to pull the trailing arm bush out on the car. (Taiwan $300-a beautiful tool).Pics in this forum. Later during bearing replacement I mocked up position for press access to that bushing which would make the job easier. I did consider replacing subject bushing and did position the puller to prove possible, but decided it was in serviceable condition and left it. I am a fan of threaded shaft pullers, but these may prove too weak as I learned on the trail arm bush. On premier pullers (snap-on) you will see Acme (square) threads on large diameter, hardened shafting. It took all 12 tons of the Taiwan puller and 300F with a heat gun to move trail bushing. The busing sleeve ID is a limiting factor on threaded rod. That $400 may not be a bad deal unless you enjoy this kind of activity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts