MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have tried searching everywhere to find information and advice on removing the rear lug studs.

What started out as a rear break job was destroyed by a broken torque wrench. A rear lug stud ended up getting sheared. So now my dilemma is trying to figure out how to get it out. Right now the brake assembly is removed exposing the broken stud. However it cannot be backed out or removed all the way because the hub assembly is in the way. So I am trying to find out if you need to remove the giant star shaped axle/bearing bolt; if it needs a special puller any of that. Because I don't have the socket for it nor do I have a puller so I just want to know if I need to bring it to the nearest shop. I don't have a photobucket account or I would try and post some photos. But hopefully someone will know what im talking about.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
is it the hub assembly or the brake shield? I encountered a brake dust shield in the way when I replaced studs the first time. I just used a hole punch and made myself a little bit more clearance and it worked fine.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Remove the brake disc, and look/feel behind the hub flange that the stud sticks through. There should be a half moon cut-out at about the 10 o clock position. Line the stud up with that cut-out and a few taps with the hammer will knock it out. If you try hammering it in any other position, it won't come out.

To install a new one, make sure it's still lined up and insert it through. I have a very short piece of pipe I then put over the stud, and put a lug nut on. As you tighten the lug nut, it'll pull the stud through. A socket will also work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found the half moon on the hub and I was able to barley squeeze a new one in, I had to bend the dust shield a little bit but I didn't need to remove or disassemble any serious hub pieces just the brakes. What a world of difference that hidden little half moon makes. Thank you all so much for your help. I hope this can prevent someone from running into the same issue.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Another member broke a stud on the road while getting some rolling shots a couple of years ago. It took us a while to do the repair, until we found the cut out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.