MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of a suspension refresh, I'd like to replace the OEM rubber bushes that attach the OEM rear swaybar to the chassis (preferably with the polyurethane variety). I believe the OEM rear swaybar has a diameter of 15mm.

Unfortunately, Energy Suspension does not list a universal bush in the 15mm size (webpage here).

However, I did find some 15mm bushes listed for various Hondas HERE. Do you think they would fit OK inside the OEM Toyota brackets? Not sure if the "D" shape of these bushes is manufacturer-specific.

Or would I be better off just buying the standard rubber bushes from Toyota?

Thanks.

·
Registered
627 Posts
As part of a suspension refresh, I'd like to replace the OEM rubber bushes that attach the OEM rear swaybar to the chassis (preferably with the polyurethane variety). I believe the OEM rear swaybar has a diameter of 15mm.

Unfortunately, Energy Suspension does not list a universal bush in the 15mm size (webpage here).

However, I did find some 15mm bushes listed for various Hondas HERE. Do you think they would fit OK inside the OEM Toyota brackets? Not sure if the "D" shape of these bushes is manufacturer-specific.

Or would I be better off just buying the standard rubber bushes from Toyota?

Thanks.
I've never heard of it be referred to as bushes. I've always heard bushings. Either way, I think the Toyota OEM bushings are good enough.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
It isn't the bushings you have to worry about - it's the brackets that will give you tremendous grief.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I thought polyurethane was considered superior to rubber, for only a few bucks more. It looks like Energy Suspension doesn't make a universal 15mm bush though. There's a SuperPro part (SPF2400-15K) that I believe drops in to the OEM metal bracket, but the list price is $31, which seems steep.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
Thanks. I thought polyurethane was considered superior to rubber, for only a few bucks more. It looks like Energy Suspension doesn't make a universal 15mm bush though. There's a SuperPro part (SPF2400-15K) that I believe drops in to the OEM metal bracket, but the list price is $31, which seems steep.
None of the universal bushings to my knowledge will work for the rear bushing because of the way it is designed. I tried a universal long ago and although it was the correct size it did not mate up with the bracket.

There are many people here that have replaced their full set of bushings by purchasing the delux Superpro kit which includes the sway bar bushings which they probably don't need because they upgraded their sway bars. What I would do is post a WTB in the for sale section for the part and you may get it cheap.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankyou for the suggestion - I'll give it a go!

Regarding the incompatibility of universal swaybar bushings on the rear - the same is not true for the fronts, right? I think I've seen people use the greasable Energy Suspension brackets/bushings here, right? Albeit with a little opening out of the bracket holes to align.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
Thankyou for the suggestion - I'll give it a go!

Regarding the incompatibility of universal swaybar bushings on the rear - the same is not true for the fronts, right? I think I've seen people use the greasable Energy Suspension brackets/bushings here, right? Albeit with a little opening out of the bracket holes to align.
It depends again. You may find ones that work as well as ones that don't.
Basically what I am saying is that it's not a give that all of the universal bushings will work.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
BTW - when I refer to "universal bushings", I'm talking about the bushing+bracket assembly, not just the bushing. As in these:

The TRD Sportivo front and sway bars that I purchased did not come with the bushings, so I measured each of the bars with a caliper and ordered the Prothane urethane from JEGS.com that look exactly that what you posted above. (By the way, it seems to be a few bucks cheaper to source them via their eBay listings than ordering directly from their website.) I did not have to dremel the bracket to fit.

Despite the fact that the Prothane bushings were a perfect fit, I cleaned the sway bars thoroughly, and I used the supplied "squeak proof" Super Grease, I still had some squeaking initially -- which has faded away completely over time.

Rich

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
How quickly do you need it? I have whiteline sways and got the full suspension bushing kit so probably have the rear sway bar ones but they are in my car, at innovative, in irvine...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How quickly do you need it? I have whiteline sways and got the full suspension bushing kit so probably have the rear sway bar ones but they are in my car, at innovative, in irvine...
No rush at all - I can swap them out whenever: just let me know. Is this the SuperPro bushing kit? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Yes superpro bushing kit, got the whole set but already have the whileline sways that come with poly bushings.

Hopefully have my car back mid to end of August.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.