MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my windshield replaced about 2 years ago and over the weekend my rearview mirror fell off. Anyone know what the recommended adhesive would be? The heat has been extreme for over a month here. I was thinking epoxy.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I had my windshield replaced about 2 years ago and over the weekend my rearview mirror fell off. Anyone know what the recommended adhesive would be? The heat has been extreme for over a month here. I was thinking epoxy.
My first thought would be to ask the outfit that replaced the windshield. Or if that wasn't Safelite, you might ask them. Also, you might give Mr. T a call. But my gut tells me that there are products intended for this specific application. When I'd done this in the past, I've employed sort of a "prop-rod" to apply a reasonable amount of pressure during any curing time.
I recall getting sort of a Grazy Glue product at one of the typical parts stores (Autozone, Advance Auto, Reilly's, etc.).

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
1. Go to a good auto parts store. We are obviously not talking about WalMart.

2. Ask the guy/gal behind the counter which one works best. Is it the most expensive one? If not, buy it. If so, you are taking your chances, but I would buy it anyway. If it doesn't work, you are probably only out a few bucks. In other words, buy what the person recommends.

3. Follow directions on package exactly.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have glue specifically for this part in the parts store, just ask.
1. Go to a good auto parts store. We are obviously not talking about WalMart.

2. Ask the guy/gal behind the counter which one works best. Is it the most expensive one? If not, buy it. If so, you are taking your chances, but I would buy it anyway. If it doesn't work, you are probably only out a few bucks. In other words, buy what the person recommends.

3. Follow directions on package exactly.
Lol, ok guys, you know you're not talking to the "run of the mill" mechanic right. ;) I have seen those kits but have also read up on them and some say they work and some say they are crap. Just wanted to see if anyone had a solid fix for this or previous experience.

And just an FYI, most of the employees that work in my local auto parts stores, don't know jack and couldn't probably install a lightbulb by themselves. :lol: (Disclaimer: No pun intended to any member here whom works for these companies, as I stated "my local auto parts store")

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
most of the employees that work in my local auto parts stores, don't know jack and couldn't probably install a lightbulb by themselves
Sounds like your people and my people are cut from the same cloth.

I've never done this job, but the idea of contacting Safelite or whomever did your windshield job is a sound one. If they do this for a living, they should know what product you need.

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
Yes, Serina, I know you are not run of the mill. That's just what I'd do. If it didn't work, I'd spend more time finding a better solution. My gut tells me that some of that stuff works perfectly well if applied right (temperature, time, prepping the surface) and some of the stuff sold is probably crap (like everything else these days). Maybe I have too much faith in Pep Boys and similar.

What I didn't think of is this: If you've already got some crap on there that did NOT work, you may need to remove it first.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
For what it is worth, you just might ask a windshield shop to reinstall it. There is a windshield shop just down the street from where I work. I went into their office holding my mirror and asked how much they would charge to reinstall it for me. They were very nice and said "nothing." I went outside with the technician who took the old epoxy (or what ever it was that is used to glue the plate to the windshield), cleaned up the mounting bracket on the back of the mirror, reinstalled the mirror and sent me on my way with a smile. If/when I need a new windshield, any guesses where I'm going to get the work done? I thought that was smart marketing on their part. Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Mine fell off and figured "well, while it's off, let's replace with something a bit lighter and smaller" so I did. The key to the auto parts store kits is PREPARATION!!!! Clean the area with alcohol and scrape off the original glue. Prep that area until your hand can glide over it and not feel any residue. Do that...and the kit glue from the auto parts stores will work just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts