MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to share some recent mods I have made in the last couple of weeks. I did not get many installation pics taken and the ones I did, the garage lighting is so bad they are hard to see, so I will spare you the eye squinting and just show the finished install.

In the last two weeks I have installed

- clear marker lights ( no oooing and aawhing please, I know these are special already :eusa_shifty:). They do look much better though, and really change the look a night with the way they reflect the light out.

- Cipher Racing Seats. 9019 style in solid black with suede inserts. I did not get the seat rails from Cipher, but built my own. Finished the install Monday and took the wife to Eureka Springs shopping yesterday, 280 miles round trip and they felt great. My factory seats would have killed me on that ride. Look great, and I think the solid black interior looks much better then the factory gray on black. l also got extra cloth for the door inserts, however have not installed them yet. I am having a little something extra done before installing, so it will be after the holidays. On a side note, as most of you know the spyder is a great shopping car.....for my wallet, not so much the wife.

- Redline Goods shift boot. Black leather with red stiching, shortened 1.25 inches for the short shifter. Could not beleive something so simple made such a visual change in the car.

-Kenwood DDX418. Wow, talk about an upgrade from that old Pioneer radio. Can not wait to get the Polk Audio component speakers installed in the doors!

- ......and last but not least.......a hardtop, thanks to loadswine. Extremely happy I did this before an engine swap. The car is so much quieter and much less cowl shake and twist when running the pig trail (The Razorback Run regulars now what I mean!).

Now for the pics -

I had help wiring the radio pig tail.....

Install pic of the radio and shift boot.

Added a TRD wallpaper to the radio.

Once again, the cat helping. Checking to see how the seats sit, shortly afterwards he tested how they napped. Then I tested how easy the gray cat hair came off the seats!

Seats installed.

Shot of the car with the hard top during our trip yesterday.

Another shot of the car with the hardtop and those ultra rare clear marker lights.

So that was this latest round of mods. I have an a-piller triple gauge pod and Dev's door sills that is going in after the holidays. ....and then I might be done for awhile before the wife shots me. If I do not post anything for more then a week, someone call the police!:lol:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I'm not usually a fan of the aftermarket racing seats, but those are really nice- I'm sure they hold you in place in the twisties, but are they comfortable? Otherwise, the car looks great!

Nicely done.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Previously I was not really a fan of them either. However, these feel really comfortable once you get used to them holding you in place. I was surprised after that many miles I was not hurting or unable to walk when I got out of the car. But I was fine each time I got out. With the factory seats I would hurt after about 50 or 60 miles. So far I am impressed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
627 Posts
All the mods were done in the right places, I'm not a fan of the clear sidemarkers, but all of the other mods look great. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice!
Do you plan on doing more on the interior?
How is the cloth on those seats, not too cheap looking? The suede parts look great.
Couldn't you also order the seats with red stitching like your shift booth?
Nice improvements on the interior, I just love interior mods :) .

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the mods were done in the right places, I'm not a fan of the clear sidemarkers, but all of the other mods look great. Keep up the good work.
Thanks.

Nice!
Do you plan on doing more on the interior?
How is the cloth on those seats, not too cheap looking? The suede parts look great.
Couldn't you also order the seats with red stitching like your shift booth?
Nice improvements on the interior, I just love interior mods :) .
Yes, I am doing the gauge cluster on the a-pillar, door panel inserts to match the cloth on the seats (having TRD embrodered on them first) and doing a 10" Kenwood sub behind the drivers seat with two 6" Boston Acoustics lined up between the seats. I am having this done in a custom enclosure where the rear storage is. I bought some extra bin doors from a salvage yard and will be cutting the passenger side down so I still have some storage and access to the amps and factory tools. I have enough seat fabric to wrap the enclosure in it so as to make everything appear to fit together better.

The cloth appears OK. I will follow up in a few months and let everyone know how the seats are wearing as this is my DD. I like the suede too, adds a little something something to them. I know the seats were available in the red stiching, but ordered them before the shift boot and thought the boot needed to stand out a little more when I ordered it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any pics of your seat bracket?
No, I did not take any pics. I have to pull the drivers seat to do the speaker install. I will take some pics and post when I do it. Made them from 3" wide x 1/4" plate. Made the bend to match the factory front tabs and welded a piece of 2" angle on the rear of the inside bracket. This angle was split on the side, back portion bend to match the inside rear mount location and then welded the split back up half way. Welded in a tab to mount the factory seat belts. This allowed me to mount the seats as low as possible. Seats are no higher then stock.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Great job on the car so far looks great. I like how you have not went over board with flashy colors or neon lights, looks nice and clean as if it could have came from factory that way.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Really like the seats, the suede looks nice and classy and your cat looks really comfortable sitting on them haha. Shift boot looks really nice, overall very classy car keep it up!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went out and snapped some pics of the seat brackets. The 3" is 3/16" plate, not 1/4". The angle is 3/16" and the seat belt bracket is either 1/4" or 5/16", can not remember. I have grade 5 bolts on the seat belts right now, however I have grade 8 bolts and nuts now to install when I pull the seats for the speaker install.

I was going to weld a rib across the bottom of the brackets for reinforcement, but after mounting in the car I do not feel like they are needed. There is no flex or movement in the seats what so ever.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What kit did you use to install your h/u? I have tried a couple and both leave a space where I can still see the mounting brackets.

-Appel

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kit did you use to install your h/u? I have tried a couple and both leave a space where I can still see the mounting brackets.

-Appel
Metra 95-8202, used the factory radio brackets and the side trim pieces from this kit. They have to be cut and then screw to the side of the radio in front of the factory brackets.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Metra 95-8202, used the factory radio brackets and the side trim pieces from this kit. They have to be cut and then screw to the side of the radio in front of the factory brackets.
Ok thanks, I tried using the scosche kit, but it still leaves a gap between the side trim and the brackets.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
very nice. hope to ck out in person soon
Thanks, we need to start planning the spring the RR or a pre RR for the locals anyway.

On a side note, I found a nylon bushing from the shifter under the drivers seat. So when you tested out my MWR shifter at the fall RR, it was much more notchy then it should have been. I guess the bushing fell off and I did not notice when I made the swap. Feels much smoother now.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Thanks, we need to start planning the spring the RR or a pre RR for the locals anyway.
Looks good, your car looks a lot different than it used to. I think all of your mods have been done well and don't look out of place, some folks don't seem to be able to accomplish that.

If you guys want to do a local run sometime, my days off are Saturday & Sunday now, just like a normal person! I'm still trying to adjust, I haven't had Saturdays off in almost 10 years. I'm off the rest of this week for Christmas, and then back to the grindstone.

Weather here isn't too bad, about 50 degrees right now. Good enough that I've already had the Spyder out once today.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.