MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My garage was humid this winter, and my rotors rusted pretty badly. After re-bedding the pads, I now have less than perfect radial wear uniformity (coning) and record grooving of the rotors. Before the rust they were prefectly servicable, even after track time and several thousand AX runs. It seems like most rotors out there, even fancy looking slotted and drilled stuff) is Chinese made crap.

What rotors have you had recently that have survived racing use (besides the $400 a set) OEM rotors. I'm not interested in drilled rotors, and I'm not sure I buy into slotted rotors 100% either. Plus the stock plain rotors work quite well at the track and obviously at AX too. But there is a lot of junk out there and i don't want it on my car.

What's not junk?

Richard

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I was just about to post something like this...

So, NAPA rotors come in different grades? I see premium and ultra premium available. Mine are at 100,000 miles. I don't have a feeler gauge, but I bet they are getting thin.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Powerstop rotors (zinc dichromate coated) are the best that I have found.
Never seem to rust.

·
Registered
23,106 Posts
I was just about to post something like this...

So, NAPA rotors come in different grades? I see premium and ultra premium available. Mine are at 100,000 miles. I don't have a feeler gauge, but I bet they are getting thin.
I was informed that the difference between the cheap and premium rotors is how they are heat cycled during the casting process. I have bought the cheaper ones from Napa for my other car and never had problem.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm using powerslot slotted rotors, the center and edge is painted so rust will never be a problem.
Yes but they crack under heavy abuse, as evident when I was at a shop w/ a friend's S2000 this past weekend. A track S2000 that had the powerslot rotors cracked them.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Any rotor can crack with track abuse. Local S2000 guy here had crack in his rotors from track abuse. Heck, I had cracks in my stock rotors and I don't think they were abused.

+1 on the powerslot rotors. I have had them for a few months and they are working great, still look clean and rust free.

·
Registered
643 Posts
make sure you also do a cool down lap after running hard laps or else you'll have the potential to crack rotors

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
replies in no particular order.

I have a buddy who works at NAPA and races. He buys Brembo rotors. To me that says quite a bit right there, although it does seem to depend on the car, and the ones for his car are still made in Italy, evidently.

My stock rotors have lasted 9 years of street use, several thousand autocross runs, and a bunch of track time. I'm willing to pay a little more to get that kind of performance longevity again, and I'll run the freaking de-humidifier hard plumbed to my floor drain all winter in the future :D My stock rotors really aren't all that rusted, they just got some surface rust on the braking surface, and wore unevenly when I re-bedded them.

I suppose there would be some benefit to the zinc coating inside the vanes of the front rotors, for better cooling, but I haven't had brake fade or cracking, even at the track. I'm thinking on Chinese manufacture, I'd rather not risk hydrogen embrittlement from improper plating process. I think I just want some plain rotor blanks from a vendor that supplies for Toyota, that sells them house branded for less money. ANybody know who that is in the case of our cars?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts