MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I became the proud owner of an 00’ Spyder on 7/31/09 and being a first time owner this site has been an amazing resource. I believe I got the car for a good price with 72,000 miles on the ODO I paid $6,700. I don’t know how it is in other parts of the country but there aren’t too many of these cars on the road in New York, so when I saw this red Spyder I pounced on it. The car is pretty clean for its age however, there were and still are a few things that need to be addressed.

1) The death bombs attached to the engine (pre-cats) – I am part of the next GB for Che’s Header
2) The gigantic flopping pole on the back of my car (antenna) – I just installed a shorty carbon fiber antenna.
3) A few paint chips on the front and rear bumpers – have an appointment to have the bumper covers painted next week.
4) Get rid of the ridiculous Wal-Mart shifter the previous owner installed – Just installed a MOMO shifter knob.
5) Factory stereo – bought a Scion radio from ebay

…And finally number six, to redo my interior. The seats really didn’t clean up to well and there are two huge tears that were repaired on the passenger seat. I’m guessing it was from a jealous wife or girlfriend perhaps?

I didn’t want to go with leather because for one, it gets really hot and leather tends to get all worn looking especially on the bolsters after a while. I also heard from some guys on here that you tend to slide around more. I did some searching around and found a seller on ebay who sells leather and synthetic upholstery for our car. The seat covers were $199 shipped and I also added double stitching and perforated inserts at no addition charge. They can even do two tone color combos at no additional cost. The upholstery arrived from Japan only eight days after I ordered them. They look good but I rather not recommend the seller until I have the seat covers installed and am assured with the quality and fit.

I also got a set of door panels from a leather interior car off of ebay for $140 shipped.

My baby!

Torn passenger seat

MOMO Knob

Complete interior

Close-up shot of the seat stitching and perforated inserts

I'll update this post with pics as soon as I get the seats done.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns out the guy who sold me the door panels is a fellow SC member.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They go on just as the OEM covers do.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Looks nice, how is the driver side seat cover? Mine is starting to rip, what will you be doing with it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The shop I use for the armrests could easily do these and prolly for a good price--leather/vinyl. Just need an OEM cover for them to get a prototype.
Well, if your shop could fix me up with a complete package (door inserts, armrest, door armrests, seats and gaitor) at a reasonable price I might be very interested. But I am not so keen at sending my OEM seats to USA for an uknown amount of time...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, I got the seat covers in today. The material feels good and I don’t slide around in them. I also swapped out my door panels and installed the Scion HU. So all in all it was a productive day.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm interested to hear the impressions of the synth leather seat covers. If the review is good, your seller might get some more business.
The sellers ebay name is leather-seat

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also got my visor plugs in today. I have to say, Knobeister’s visor plugs are nice and Joe Portas is a hell of a nice guy as well!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those look really nice:icon_thumright: How hard were they to install?
I dropped the car off to my upholstery guy and he had it back to me by noon. He charged me $200.00 so I can’t imagine it was too difficult for him. If it would have been more money to install them I would have at least attempted to do them myself.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
You're doing great work and finding the right moves. Kudos for managing to install your own leather package instead of doing the Bride or Recarro aftermarket seat thing. Excellent choice on the Scion HU. See about sourcing some kind of quickshifter, a TRD if you can find one.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're doing great work and finding the right moves. Kudos for managing to install your own leather package instead of doing the Bride or Recarro aftermarket seat thing. Excellent choice on the Scion HU. See about sourcing some kind of quickshifter, a TRD if you can find one.
SE, I've read many of your posts over the past few weeks. Coming from you the "kudos" is a big compliment. The TRD short shifter, shifter bushings and leather shift boot will most likely be my next mod.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts