MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone refinished their OEM wheels? when i went shopping for my car, the 3 Spyders i saw had bubbles underneath the paint. not sure if this is a common problem, or because 2 of the 3 cars i saw were near the beach and the other was driven in the snow where it was probably exposed to salt...

nonetheless, i'm trying to keep the OEM look and was thinking about refinishing my wheels... maybe get them blasted and then powdercoated, or maybe just repainted... has anyone done this? or is it not worth the effort and just get some lighter aftermarket wheels instead?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
has anyone refinished their OEM wheels? when i went shopping for my car, the 3 Spyders i saw had bubbles underneath the paint. not sure if this is a common problem, or because 2 of the 3 cars i saw were near the beach and the other was driven in the snow where it was probably exposed to salt...

nonetheless, i'm trying to keep the OEM look and was thinking about refinishing my wheels... maybe get them blasted and then powdercoated, or maybe just repainted... has anyone done this? or is it not worth the effort and just get some lighter aftermarket wheels instead?
I recently acquired a set of stock '00-'02 wheels that have this same issue, so I would guess the bubbling is not uncommon. Prior to getting my Konig Daylite wheels, I had a set of black powdercoated stock '03-'05 wheels which looked VERY sharp. I have been thinking of stripping the '00-'02 wheels down and having them powdercoated black, but it's not a priority. Many people have used black or gold spray paint for a quick rattlecan paint job -- with acceptable results.

The Enkei RPF1 (and its copies) is a very popular aftermarket choice for Spyders because its a lightweight, strong wheel.

Rich

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently acquired a set of stock '00-'02 wheels that have this same issue, so I would guess the bubbling is not uncommon. Prior to getting my Konig Daylite wheels, I had a set of black powdercoated stock '03-'05 wheels which looked VERY sharp. I have been thinking of stripping the '00-'02 wheels down and having them powdercoated black, but it's not a priority. Many people have used black or gold spray paint for a quick rattlecan paint job -- with acceptable results.

The Enkei RPF1 (and its copies) is a very popular aftermarket choice for Spyders because its a lightweight, strong wheel.

Rich
that sucks if it is a common issue then... i'll probably wait until fall/winter when i put the car away and pull the wheels off... get them stripped down and check the condition... if they aren't too badly damaged, i can respray them myself... otherwise off to PC...

Enkei RPF1 huh? how much lighter?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I redid my own wheels and painted them black...I went the cheap route, borrowed a power drill from my neighbor and $60 got me 2 sanding whees (I had a helluva lot of curb rash from the previous owner)l and 4 black sprayed and clear coated stock wheels. So far very happy with the results, although in the long run I'm sure powder coating is more durable, but I can afford to do this twice for the price of powder coating once :)

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I have a pair of 15x6.5 OEM wheels coming from Wheel Collision Center today. They should be refinished and look like new (I hope so!). I believe it will be like any paint job in that the prep will be more important then the painting. If you can get a great surface prep with good adhesion then you should be good. I believe aluminum should be etched first. I will post on the job WCC does tomorrow. They may just do wheel service for you without a purchase. If interested Ed communicates well.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I redid my own wheels and painted them black...I went the cheap route, borrowed a power drill from my neighbor and $60 got me 2 sanding whees (I had a helluva lot of curb rash from the previous owner)l and 4 black sprayed and clear coated stock wheels. So far very happy with the results, although in the long run I'm sure powder coating is more durable, but I can afford to do this twice for the price of powder coating once :)
pics?

I have a pair of 15x6.5 OEM wheels coming from Wheel Collision Center today. They should be refinished and look like new (I hope so!). I believe it will be like any paint job in that the prep will be more important then the painting. If you can get a great surface prep with good adhesion then you should be good. I believe aluminum should be etched first. I will post on the job WCC does tomorrow. They may just do wheel service for you without a purchase. If interested Ed communicates well.
appreciate any pics when u get the wheels!!!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Agreed. Also, as Carl noted, the key to good results is to spend the time and effort to prep the wheels prior to painting. Taking the time to sanding off the OEM clearcoat will make a huge difference in helping the paint adhere to it. In the interest of saving a couple of bucks, I'll probably sand down and respray the my '00-'02 stock wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i wonder if anyone completely stripped down the paint and polished the aluminum wheels...

Rich - I'm all about saving a few bucks where i can... :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen eh? :lol:
Stock wheels in black. Thats my brother helping out with the prep work, had a ton of curb rash on them. Personally I don't think it looks too bad for only $60. [Ignore the ears and the fuel door. . .They're on my list once I catch a free weekend, lets focus on the wheels, remember why we came to the thread) :D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Bob - If you need a top strap, I have a spare OEM top strap because someone offered me a great deal on Dev's top strap. It's all yours in exchange for a six-pack of an adult beverage (or, your guidance to strip and repaint a set of wheels)!

Wheel stripping and repainting meet anyone?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mine had the same issue with bubbling, the topcoat was faded in some areas also. Brought mine to a local shop that specializes in refinishing wheels. They came out better than new, I think they apply 3 or 4 coats of clear and even paint the inside part. One of the wheels was slightly out of alignment and they fixed it. It cost me around 600 $ but the car looks so much better now!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
They did a awsome job on your wheels Ken. I wish there was a shop around here that would do that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine had the same issue with bubbling, the topcoat was faded in some areas also. Brought mine to a local shop that specializes in refinishing wheels. They came out better than new, I think they apply 3 or 4 coats of clear and even paint the inside part. One of the wheels was slightly out of alignment and they fixed it. It cost me around 600 $ but the car looks so much better now!!
WOW! I think I might look for a wheel refinishing shop myself. Those look niiiice! :icon_thumright:

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bob - If you need a top strap, I have a spare OEM top strap because someone offered me a great deal on Dev's top strap. It's all yours in exchange for a six-pack of an adult beverage (or, your guidance to strip and repaint a set of wheels)!

if Bob doesn't take the top strap, i may need it, as well as a few other things from you... :) i'm all for a wheel refinish meet... i'd bring the beers but i'm not sure how my painting will look after a few drinks... :tomato: anyone have space to build a makeshift paint booth?

i cringe at the $600 bill, but man those wheels look nice... i'd cry if i accidentally curb them...

·
Registered
729 Posts

I love the sound of the offer but the ironic part is I have a top strap, one of the clips from the convertible top is what's broken (it got bent somehow)...I was thinking about how to fix it and somewhere along the line I decided that sewing one side and clipping the other should work just fine

Now back to the wheels, Ken Branch's look amazing, but for myself, that price tag puts them into the "ain't gonna happen" range (besides I wanted black, or at least that's what I'm gonna tell myself after seeing his haha) next up is the rotors - hats to be black, and calipers - to be red with "spyder" decal in white. Then my car should look a little more respectable when I finally make it out to a meet.

Btw I could do a quick little write-up on how I did the wheels if it would be helpful for people, just let me know, especially the rpaltman & the OP
Any interest in touching up the calipers/rotors kamlung? If so, then I'll make sure to take some pictures and do a mini write up of that too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Now back to the wheels, Ken Branch's look amazing, but for myself, that price tag puts them into the "ain't gonna happen" range ... next up is the rotors - has to be black, and calipers - to be red with "spyder" decal in white. Then my car should look a little more respectable when I finally make it out to a meet.

Btw I could do a quick little write-up on how I did the wheels if it would be helpful for people, just let me know, especially the rpaltman & the OP
Any interest in touching up the calipers/rotors kamlung? If so, then I'll make sure to take some pictures and do a mini write up of that too.
Same here....could not justify $150/wheel right now (can't do that and pay the Ozark Run hotel bill...;) and the $600/mth I'm paying for payments (three payments/month)....done by xmas.

I also want to change colors, although not sure which....I like the idea of the red calipers/white lettering (be cool on a white car), and I'd also like to do the rotor centers in red (at least the part showing with the wheel on).

I'd like the photo examples and write-up...particularly if you are doing the prep and/or painting yourself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Only way to do it right is to do it yourself, the only damage to my car since I got it is from other ppl working on it (changing a shift link cable 200 miles from home and they slashed my shift boot as a shortcut, body shop left my driver side window scratched to hell as well).
Forewarning, I will need at least 2 weeks to get my calipers & rotors done, planning on flushing the brake fluid as part of some routine maintenance while working on the paint job. School all day, 6 days a week is a b*tch in that regard, PLUS I need the weather to cooperate on my off day but I'll be sure to take pics.
[Not trying to thread jack OP] ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts