MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 1055 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please use this thread to locate and work out events with other relay participants. Remember, anything goes as long as the baton keeps moving!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok, so all the Arizona guys get together in Phoenix, and we all race to either California or New Mexico and the first one there without being arrested gets to be immortalized by photo as he hands off the baton!!!

On a serious note, I was thinking it might be cool to have a track day or something, but I can't ever get anybody to do anything in Tucson, plus it might be hard to organize something like that in conjunction with how long it takes the people in front of us to get the baton to us. However, if we do the east-to-west thing, and the baton comes through Tucson to Phoenix, maybe we could reserve something at one of the Phoenix tracks, and have all the Tucson/Phoenix guys meet up there. I know this is the SC relay, but we could probably also get some MkI and MkII guys up there to lower the cost a bit.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Speaking for the Jacksonville, FL, Spyders, I'm willing to go to Daytona and meet any Orlando Spyders for the handoff. If the baton is coming here from the north, then I'd be able to pick it up in Lake City on the panhandle, or Savannah, GA, and hand it off in Jax for the trip south.

·
Registered
609 Posts
actualy i like that idea t-bone, have pieces that assemble to a final product, and the center can be a large meet maybe? finish in the lower midwest somwhere or somthing central....

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I have a suggestion: go west to east instead of east to west. I know east to west gives better driving weather, but west-to-east gives the following advantages:

1) west-to-east travel gives a sense of progress.

2) Easy on the eyes and instinctive.

3) Good for documentation on the web or video

4) if going worldwide is to be a reality, west-to-east is most logical, as directly to the east of NY is the UK, which currently has the most mature relay logistically after the USA. Also, the final stop before going back to the US is Japan (which is very symbolic in our relay)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (broudie @ Sep 8 2007, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a suggestion: go west to east instead of east to west. I know east to west gives better driving weather, but west-to-east gives the following advantages:

1) west-to-east travel gives a sense of progress.

2) Easy on the eyes and instinctive.

3) Good for documentation on the web or video

4) if going worldwide is to be a reality, west-to-east is most logical, as directly to the east of NY is the UK, which currently has the most mature relay logistically after the USA. Also, the final stop before going back to the US is Japan (which is very symbolic in our relay)[/b]
I agree mostly with number 4 because of possible international travel. I'll have to reverse the markers on the map.

As for the organization of mini-meets, would there be any interest of documentation of these on the map? I can try to work up a way to provide information about potential meet dates, locations, etc. In fact, any suggestions in regard to the map are very welcome. Almost anything is possible and, with the map being the focal point of the organization of the entire relay, it should be helpful to detail as much as possible on it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well, if we're going west-to-east, there'd better be a *big* shindig over in Denver/Amarillo/San Antonio, because that's a long drive to just turn around and come back. . . or maybe some New Mexico and West Texas guys could sign up here. I don't mind driving as far as El Paso, but I'd rather not drive any further than that. Alternately, if we can get more people across Kansas/Nebraska I could try to drive to Colorado Springs to my sister's house, and drop the baton off to aQuarius26 in Denver, then s/he could pass it east from there.

Is there anything fun in the Springs/Denver area? At this point that puts all of two people there, but we could have some fun, and I'm sure my sister would like to come too (she's a former MkII owner).

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fosley @ Sep 10 2007, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, if we're going west-to-east, there'd better be a *big* shindig over in Denver/Amarillo/San Antonio, because that's a long drive to just turn around and come back. . . or maybe some New Mexico and West Texas guys could sign up here. I don't mind driving as far as El Paso, but I'd rather not drive any further than that. Alternately, if we can get more people across Kansas/Nebraska I could try to drive to Colorado Springs to my sister's house, and drop the baton off to aQuarius26 in Denver, then s/he could pass it east from there.

Is there anything fun in the Springs/Denver area? At this point that puts all of two people there, but we could have some fun, and I'm sure my sister would like to come too (she's a former MkII owner).[/b]
Currently, the route doesn't have you going into Texas at all. Your two connections are in San Diego and Phoenix. Things may change; routes may be renegotiated among the participants, people may drop out, someone may find a more efficient route, one or two hand-offs may have to be shipped...any of these could affect any participant's connections.

If anyone else has concerns about the route, either as a whole or regarding only your two connections, please speak up.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
A couple more observations:

Realistically, do you think people will run their legs on anything other than weekends? From a planning perspective, what I'm seeing as realistic is 1 hand-off a week on average. This means that all that 50 legs across the USA will take about a year. I know that there are more than 50 dots on the map already.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (broudie @ Sep 10 2007, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Realistically, do you think people will run their legs on anything other than weekends? From a planning perspective, what I'm seeing as realistic is 1 hand-off a week on average. This means that all that 50 legs across the USA will take about a year. I know that there are more than 50 dots on the map already.[/b]
Yes, there are more than 50 (the actual locale count is in the title and, right now, is 92). A large portion of the participating members, especially on the coasts, are very close to one another and I don't suspect that they would wait long at all to meet up. I fully expect that some of the moderately-longer drives will be put off until a weekend, but I don't think the average hand-off per week is one. I think it's more like two or three. Not to mention that a lot of these guys closely bunched together may meet all at one time which will knock two to five members out at once (Maryland, for example).

I guess with all of that said, my initial estimation of a couple of months does seem a bit unrealistic. It looks like a time span of perhaps four to six months may be more likely.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sdalbert @ Sep 10 2007, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (broudie @ Sep 10 2007, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Realistically, do you think people will run their legs on anything other than weekends? From a planning perspective, what I'm seeing as realistic is 1 hand-off a week on average. This means that all that 50 legs across the USA will take about a year. I know that there are more than 50 dots on the map already.[/b]
Yes, there are more than 50 (the actual locale count is in the title and, right now, is 92). A large portion of the participating members, especially on the coasts, are very close to one another and I don't suspect that they would wait long at all to meet up. I fully expect that some of the moderately-longer drives will be put off until a weekend, but I don't think the average hand-off per week is one. I think it's more like two or three. Not to mention that a lot of these guys closely bunched together may meet all at one time which will knock two to five members out at once (Maryland, for example).

I guess with all of that said, my initial estimation of a couple of months does seem a bit unrealistic. It looks like a time span of perhaps four to six months may be more likely.
[/b][/quote]
Exactly, you'll want to "highly encourage" group drives.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (broudie @ Sep 10 2007, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sdalbert @ Sep 10 2007, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (broudie @ Sep 10 2007, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Exactly, you'll want to "highly encourage" group drives.
[/b][/quote]
I think these guys were already up for it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok, well I'm finally able to see all the lines and everything--before I could just see the markers. I was thinking you'd go through Vegas down to Phoenix and Tucson then out to Texas or Colorado, given that those are the closest points. It wouldn't really matter whether you went from Phoenix, Tucson or Vegas to Colorado, but going to Amarillo would be closer from Phoenix or Tucson.

I didn't realize you were going way up through Montana, or I would have seen that Vegas is the best approach. Which pretty much leaves me with a nice, short drive if we're going east.

Really, I was just thinking out loud--I figured if Phoenix had to go up to Colorado, we could just reverse our legs and I'd take it. Lines make things so much simpler.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fosley @ Sep 11 2007, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok, well I'm finally able to see all the lines and everything--before I could just see the markers. I was thinking you'd go through Vegas down to Phoenix and Tucson then out to Texas or Colorado, given that those are the closest points. It wouldn't really matter whether you went from Phoenix, Tucson or Vegas to Colorado, but going to Amarillo would be closer from Phoenix or Tucson.

I didn't realize you were going way up through Montana, or I would have seen that Vegas is the best approach. Which pretty much leaves me with a nice, short drive if we're going east.

Really, I was just thinking out loud--I figured if Phoenix had to go up to Colorado, we could just reverse our legs and I'd take it. Lines make things so much simpler.
[/b]
Sorry about the lines...they're flaky in Internet Explorer and I still haven't figured out why (I've spent at least an hour trying to debug it). I've found that mousing over them twice makes them appear for individual markers and clicking the "Show all connecting lines" button two or three times makes them all appear.

Ok, now that Ashley Force isn't distracting me on the Tonight Show anymore (anybody else?)...

If we can't find any other members in the four-corners States, Wyoming, or the Dakotas and surrounding areas, poor Pitborn may end up receiving and resending via shipping. If we can expect a member to be shipping the baton, then we can restructure the connections accordingly so that longer drives are taken out. Whether or not a member ships the baton is entirely up to them. We can only encourage and ask a member to drive it half-way or all the way to the next member. It's not much of a relay if UPS does the relaying, is it? Thanks for voicing concern.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im in reno nevada. I would be willing to go farther then just las vegas. Im a free spirit in my car so if there is going to be a big meet up for a leg of the
trip then count me in. I was thinking denver.

Maybe there could be a meet up in cali or nevada and then a group could take a nice long drive together to denver or something along those lines.

just an idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sdalbert @ Sep 10 2007, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fosley @ Sep 11 2007, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b]
Sorry about the lines...they're flaky in Internet Explorer and I still haven't figured out why (I've spent at least an hour trying to debug it). I've found that mousing over them twice makes them appear for individual markers and clicking the "Show all connecting lines" button two or three times makes them all appear.

Ok, now that Ashley Force isn't distracting me on the Tonight Show anymore (anybody else?)...

If we can't find any other members in the four-corners States, Wyoming, or the Dakotas and surrounding areas, poor Pitborn may end up receiving and resending via shipping. If we can expect a member to be shipping the baton, then we can restructure the connections accordingly so that longer drives are taken out. Whether or not a member ships the baton is entirely up to them. We can only encourage and ask a member to drive it half-way or all the way to the next member. It's not much of a relay if UPS does the relaying, is it? Thanks for voicing concern.
[/b][/quote]

i would be willing to but i dont know how well that would go over if someone from reno took the batton half way across the united states.
but if there are any margenaly large gaps that people cant fill i would be willing to fallow the batton while everyone else took there drive. Then when they had to turn around i would fill in the distance to the nest driver. > I really love the idea of this happening so im going to help in any way that i can .

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
For anyone that's been paying attention to the route for the U.S. relay, I've changed a few things on the map and I believe it made two sections a little more efficient. I began with the Northwest by routing from Washington to Pitborn in Montana, then down to Northern Nevada and California. I reworked the Southeast after the addition of silver02 in the Florida panhandle to hopefully save some time and gas for those affected. Check it out by viewing the map and clicking the "Show all connecting lines" button. I welcome all recommendations and requests by any participants.

1 - 20 of 1055 Posts