MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for a while. I have a problem with my spyder, the car is throwing a code and running rough. I think I narrowed the problem down to a dirty or malfunctioning fuel injector. The only problem is I cannot for the life of me figure out how to release the fuel pressure to take off the rail. Help please and thank you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd try pulling the fuel pump fuse while the car is running. Should shut down as soon as the fuel pressure bleeds off, which shouldn't take long at all!

Don't forget to turn the ignition off once the engine dies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so very much! One more problem though, I'm not sure which fuse that is. The owner's manual and the diagrams on the fuse boxes are not much help. Thanks again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Without a wiring diagram I can't tell you. However, upon reflection, I suspect you're looking for a fuel pump solenoid, not a fuse. A solenoid will have five legs on it and will be larger than a fuse. Pull that instead.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I've not found the 'Trick' to getting the Fuel Pressure off..

I just wait till the Engine is Cold, and lay some rags around and then Pull the Fuel Rail..

Here is a Shot of the Top of the Engine Labeled for the Fuel Injectors and Coils..

The Fuel Relay is on the Relay Pack on the Firewall.. In-front of the Battery..

Real Pain to get to..

Cap

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Instructions from BGB. Disconnect fuel pump connector at the fuel pump then start the car and let it run until it dies. I just let the car sit until cold like Cap says and use a rag at the firewall fuel line connector.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've not found the 'Trick' to getting the Fuel Pressure off..

I just wait till the Engine is Cold, and lay some rags around and then Pull the Fuel Rail..

Here is a Shot of the Top of the Engine Labeled for the Fuel Injectors and Coils..

The Fuel Relay is on the Relay Pack on the Firewall.. In-front of the Battery..

Real Pain to get to..

Cap
Great Info Cap, Thanks. You're my Spyder American Idol! :rockon:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I can't swear to this, but here's what I have in my notes:
"Remove IG2 and EFI1 fuses (both 15A) and a 7.5A EFI2 fuse."

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I checked the diagrams on this Curt and the only way to fire the injectors without the pump running is to pull the connector at the pump or pull the c/opn relay. EFI 1 powers the fuel pump but it also powers the ecu so if you pull it the injectors won't fire to relieve the pressure. Pulling the IG fuse kills the spark coils and injectors. You need both fuses in to fire the injectors and bleed off the pressure so you have to disconnect at the pump or pull the relay or simply wait overnight for the pressure to slowly bleed off by itself. If I was doing a compression check pulling those fuses would shut off the fuel and spark which would be good.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I checked the diagrams on this Curt and the only way to fire the injectors without the pump running is to pull the connector at the pump or pull the c/opn relay. EFI 1 powers the fuel pump but it also powers the ecu so if you pull it the injectors won't fire to relieve the pressure. Pulling the IG fuse kills the spark coils and injectors. You need both fuses in to fire the injectors and bleed off the pressure so you have to disconnect at the pump or pull the relay or simply wait overnight for the pressure to slowly bleed off by itself. If I was doing a compression check pulling those fuses would shut off the fuel and spark which would be good.
Good point. The notes I had made were related to disabling the fuel system so as to thwart a car thief if I was going to tow the car on a trailer cross country and be staying overnights at motels along the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts