MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is possible to pull the A/C vents and the hazard button out of the dash without damaging them or removing the whole dash? I haven't really found any threads regarding it.

My car had a cheap carbon fiber dash kit when I bought it, I removed it, and either I damaged the dash in the removal or the damage was already there. In any case, I'm thinking about hitting up the area around the vents in the center with Plastidip. Seems like if those vents came out easily it would make the masking process a little simpler.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
I'm pretty sure the dashboard has to be removed to remove the vents.
You will have to mask the vents off.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
You have to remove a hell of a lot more than just the dash.

Simply removing the dash will allow you to remove the tubing for the side vents only. Those are easy.
To remove the center vents, you have to remove the dash and the heater core box because the vents wrap between the horizontal structure bar that supports the entire dash/steering wheel assembly and the heater core box. Removing the heater core box requires draining some coolant and pulling some hoses on the other side of the firewall. Removing the box also seems to require moving the AC box and the fan box, which all forms a sort of puzzle together, interlocking. Huge effing hassle.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You have to remove a hell of a lot more than just the dash.
I'm not sure where you are getting all that, you don't have to do anything with the heater core. The vents are installed in the dash.

The hardest part is removing and reinstalling the cables that link the HVAC controls.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I'm not sure where you are getting all that, you don't have to do anything with the heater core. The vents are installed in the dash.

The hardest part is removing and reinstalling the cables that link the HVAC controls.
Did OP just mean the vent covers? The things with the slits? I thought he meant the whole vent assembly. I think you are right. I don't see the need the remove the whole assembly for painting. <_<
Sorry for the false input OP.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I should have been more clear on what I was hoping to remove.

I figured it was something like that. I tried to pull on them a bit just to see, and they didn't budge, so I didn't think they came out. I've known some cars where they popped out easily. Careful masking it is.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Did OP just mean the vent covers? The things with the slits? I thought he meant the whole vent assembly. I think you are right. I don't see the need the remove the whole assembly for painting. <_<
Sorry for the false input OP.
Yes, I think we were talking about two different things. Still a bit of b!tch to get those cables undone and then reattached. Removing the passenger airbag first gives better access (there should be a "duh!" in there, ask me how I know.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just going to mask them carefully, and shoot for the best. I'll post before and after pics when I'm done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts