MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2ZZ NA
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am in the process of replacing all of the rear control arms and the bolt on the lower right one is not coming out. I saw that i can get better access if i remove the exhaust and lower/remove the rear subframe and use the angle grinder to cut it.

Is the bolt holding the rear toe arm a special one that needs to be ordered?
Does anyone know how to remove the rear subframe or ideas to remove a bolt that is completely stuck regardless of the force put on it?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I assume you have been able to remove the nut. As mentioned above the bolt must be corroded to the bushing in the suspension arm. With the nut off, soak the interface with a penetrating oil (like liquid wrench) for at least a few hours. Before you start cutting, try heating both ends of the bolt with a propane torch just short of the point where the rubber in the arm's bushing burns or melts. Very often the heat breaks the corrosion's grip.

·
Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
204 Posts
When the adjustable toe bolt rusts into the bushing there is no chance of getting it out without cutting or destroying the bushing.

When I had to remove that arm, I ended up cutting both sides of the bolt and used the press to get the remaining part of the bolt out after I freed the arm from the subframe.

·
Registered
2ZZ NA
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately I have tried most of this except the torch which I don't have. I hope this post can help someone else having the same issue I have.

I found a alternative to my problem. Since I am swapping the parts from another mr2, I will switch both rear subframes given that those bolts don't give me too much trouble. Thanks guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts