MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, as well as new to being an MRS driver (and loving every minute of it). I recently bought a 2002 Sunshine Yellow Spyder, and wish to repaint the factory-finished 'carbon fiber' style dash panels with the body color (as well as the molded silver plastic inside door handles). Has anyone here attempted this operation successfully? Can anyone point me into the right direction as far as removing & replacing the dash panels is concerned? While I'm at it, I'd be interested in installing aftermarket GPS/NAV and also some kind of MP3 capability to the stereo system, so I'll likely do it all together. Picks will follow (IF successful LOL)

Thanks for being patient with a noob here

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
...as well as the molded silver plastic inside door handles...
I painted that grab-bar and loved it, as follows:

1. Remove the door panel from the door.
  2. Unbolt the plastic grab-bar from the door panel (bar is free so less masking effort needed, can be hung).
  3. Use sandpaper or a scotch bright pad to scuff up the plastic (sandpaper is needed to remove the seems from the molded plastic).
  4. Mask off the rubber handle. To keep/include the chrome ring at both ends of the rubber I did this masking trick:
    • over-mask and wrap the tape very tight
    • use a sharp hobby knife to cut the tape right at the chrome ring.
    • Remove the excess tape.
  5. Paint and use a lot of clear coat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the help. I anticipate a battle in getting those pieces out of the car without damaging them, but if all goes well they should look pretty nice when repainted an reinstalled.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Thank you for the help. I anticipate a battle in getting those pieces out of the car without damaging them, but if all goes well they should look pretty nice when repainted an reinstalled.
In case things don't go well, bitrim.com sells interior trim kits in a variety of colors/finishes.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I am not a fan of carbon fiber, and my car is black, so I should probably keep my dash stock. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Removing the dash is a huge pain in the ass. Putting it back together moreso, supposedly. Good luck.

Write up on dash removal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts