MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I recently got a hardtop and it's great. But my soft top is still in the car and has a large, knife cut hole in it (the reason for the hard top). I want to take the soft top out, and sell it if I can. I know the skin is useless with a hole in it, but is the skeleton still of value? Should I carefully remove it and try to sell it? Or will I never find a buyer and might as well just take it out quickly and throw it away? Thanks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would keep it if I were you soft tops are pricey too. Mine had a large hole where some guy broke in and I had it repaired. It's good to have both just incase. You could have the soft top in and the hard top at the same time.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
You need parts of the soft top frame to mount the hardtop on the car. You can't remove the soft top complete and mount the hardtop.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would keep it if I were you soft tops are pricey too. Mine had a large hole where some guy broke in and I had it repaired. It's good to have both just incase. You could have the soft top in and the hard top at the same time.
The car is starting to go towards being a dedicated racer (although still daily driven), so I think I really want that extra weight gone...it would be an extremely rare occasion that I would want to take the time to take off the hardtop to go somewhere and put it back on when I got back. It takes 2 people and it's fairly heavy, and I really like lightness. :)

silversprint said:
You need parts of the soft top frame to mount the hardtop on the car.
All I see that I need is the two latch bases on the sides and the edge that seals the hardtop to the car. I see that some of the assembly is under those side latch bases, but I'll see if I can take it out and put the latch bases back. I guess I'll find out when I try it :) (I found soft top removal instructions)

·
Registered
544 Posts
The car is starting to go towards being a dedicated racer (although still daily driven), so I think I really want that extra weight gone...it would be an extremely rare occasion that I would want to take the time to take off the hardtop to go somewhere and put it back on when I got back. It takes 2 people and it's fairly heavy, and I really like lightness. :)
Well if it's track car yea take it out.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nay nay
Slide the seat forward. Pick it up on your head. Stand up and walk away. That's the only way I install/remove my hardtop.
not sure if joking or I should go try this... <squintyeyefry.jpg>

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Serious. My wife has car wreck injury and can't lift. Face aft, sit on the armrest, put your head in the middle about 10 inches fwd of the back glass and stand up. Have a soft place picked out to place the top - or have your rack built on the wall.
Thanks for the tip, this will come in handy someday, provided I can do it successfully (I'm not what you would call a burly guy) :)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
All I see that I need is the two latch bases on the sides and the edge that seals the hardtop to the car. I see that some of the assembly is under those side latch bases, but I'll see if I can take it out and put the latch bases back. I guess I'll find out when I try it :) (I found soft top removal instructions)
You will have to cut the frame of the soft top.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's how I remove my hardtop. Don't be too hard on me - it's my first attempt at video anything.
*Video*
That music was hilarious. It looks like you've done that a few times. The only difference for me would be that I would have to walk it up a narrow flight of stairs and put it in the living room, haha. Your setup is nice though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts