MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering replacing my OEM wheels (2001 MR2 with +/- 30k miles). I would like something a little more visually pleasing, like black or gun-metal gray. It seems like wider wheels should be worth considering; I have read that wider-than-stock wheels could provide a little better performance. (Although I don't race, I do like to drive in a spirited manner.) I'll probably stick to the stock tire sizes because I don't want to get tied up in changing sheet metal, alignment, speedo gearing, etc. 'Any thoughts out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I'm considering replacing my OEM wheels (2001 MR2 with +/- 30k miles). I would like something a little more visually pleasing, like black or gun-metal gray. It seems like wider wheels should be worth considering; I have read that wider-than-stock wheels could provide a little better performance. (Although I don't race, I do like to drive in a spirited manner.) I'll probably stick to the stock tire sizes because I don't want to get tied up in changing sheet metal, alignment, speedo gearing, etc. 'Any thoughts out there? Thanks.
Why not just paint the stock wheels? They perform fine under 99% of circumstances, fit the stock tire sizes well, are generally aesthetically pleasing, and you already have them.

Here's Duplicolor's Antracite Wheel paint:

Here's their black:

I've done it before and while it's time consuming (save a weekend for all four wheels,) It's really easy to get a good result if take your time.

I recommend 2-3 cans of filler primer, 4-5 cans of wheel paint (2 coats per wheel), and 2 cans of clear coat, and various types of sandpaper.

1) Sand off all your old paint, and as much of the curb rash as you're able.
1.5) Clean the now-naked wheel with rubbing alcohol.
2) Coat the wheels with filler primer, rough sand
3) Repeat step 2 over and over until the surface of the wheel looks good.
4) Do a full coat of color, making sure to get the whole surface of the wheel.
5) Let it dry
6) Repeat steps 4 and 5.
7) Make sure the surface of the wheel looks good, and put a layer of clear coat down.
8) Let it dry.
9) Victory! You'll be amazed at how good they look. No cheap flat-black appearance here.

·
Registered
217 Posts
949 racing wheels
+1 for easy fitment. 15x7 front 15x8 rear with stock tyre sizes.

Alternatively any of the new enkei classic range in +25 with same sizes will be more "fitted" if you like the more old school japanese look. Fine at stock height, may require some rolling/camber when lowered ( unsure yet )

·
Registered
73 Posts
OZ Ultraleggera- anthracite/dark grey. I put 15 on front and 16 on rear of my 2001 silver MR2. I love them and they are light weight.

The 16 size in the rear makes the MR2 look more proportional, IMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.