MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking at a spyder that has a slipping clutch. I have been looking through theads but haven't really seen an answer to this question.

I have no problem doing the work and changing it. quite good with electronics and mechanicals I have been looking through the process in the BGB. now the BGB says you need to plug in a hand held tester to bring the pressure down before removing hydralics and also says you need to do a complete relearn once its done. Now. Toyota dealers out here are expensive, I have a copy of the Techstream software. can anyone tell me wheter this has the ability to comunicate with they sypders computer and do the full relearn as per the BGB?

Otherwise I have talked to some mechanics down here that know a little bit about these SMT's and they said they way they do it is pull the box off without disconnecting any of the connectors or hydralic lines. that way you just redo a friction learn when the new clutch goes in.

now the question appart from the techstream question. it sounds a little dangerous pulling the box off with everything connected, easier to damage stuff. but you obviosly need to disconnect the battery. the whole engine might need to come out to be able to pull it off safeley without damaging anything. does the ecu reblank itself anyway when the battery is taken out? or will puling the whole engine interupt the sensors anyway? if so i can't see the differance between pulling the connectors or pulling the battery. or does the ECU keep its memory when the battery is removed?

what do people think? I know that if shit hits the fan and i have to disconnect everything i may just have to take it to toyota for a full relearn if the techstream cannot access it.

thanks

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Techstream is THE Software to do ALL the SMT Stuff.. it will also do other stuff, but the Important stuff is the SMT Relearn.

You will need an Interface ( Called a VIM, for Veh Interface Module ) to be able to hook Techstream up to the Laptop and the Car.. Mongoose is One Approved Interface, and Tectrex OpenPort 2.0 is another..

If you are interested, Chinese Pirates have Cloned the Software and Hardware.. it's available by Google Search.. at a good price.. as most of the Cloned Stuff is..

and you do not need to be scared .. let the Veh sit for a few hours, and the Pressure is Gone..

Won't hurt a thing to disconnect the Battery..

Cap

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You have more play on the SMT hoses than you have with the wires, could probably do it without disconnecting the hydraulics, but probably going to need a full relearn after you unplug the electrical connections. Disconnecting the hydraulic quick-connects is a pain without the correct tool, so I'd leave 'em together if you're just dropping the tranny straight to the ground. Instructions on how to do a full relearn with techstream is here

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Chinese Pirates have Cloned the Software and Hardware.. it's available by Google Search.. at a good price.. as most of the Cloned Stuff is..
Can't beat the Mangoose (Mongoose clone).

Plus, you get to say things like "I'm going out to the car to play with my Mangoose."

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

They could be other reasons why your clutch is slipping so be prepare for surprises.I Remove the transmission without touching any Hydraulic hoses.If I recall they are only 3 bolts holding the HPU. Mine was slipping from oil getting into the clutch.Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts