MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I gave my wife some bad advice and the motor is shot in our 2003 SMT. head cracked or severely warped ther is coolant leaking out of the exhaust flex pipe so I'm about 99% sure thats the problem. Either way it's got 150,000 miles on it and I bought her a new daly driver so it is what it is I suppose.

Now moving on I will be replacing the motor obviously, I am a farly experienced mechanic but I have not messed with SMTs so I have been searching for any tips or tricks on replacing the clutch so her is what I retained so far

1 it's the same clutch as a standard trans

2 I will need a jig of some sort to keep part of the transmission from falling out

3 I will need to reprogram the tranny for the new friction zone which may or may not require a dealership or the 1st gear 3rd gear 3000 rpm slowdown method

4 be carefull not to smash any sensors on the tranny bottom

My question now is what key step am I missing because I don't know what I dont know and when I try to look up motor replacement for an SMT it's not giving me anything that makes any sense

On a side note we have owned the car since new and I'm not in a race to fix it but it must be fixed (wife's orders)

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Remove the Engine and Tranny as a Unit.. then Separate them, then Re-Install..

Cap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the plan, I just want to make sure there is not a huge uh oh moment when I go to separate the engine and tranny.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
shouldn't be. The uhoh moment comes when you want to keep the engine in and get the tranny out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts