MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I took a trip to Pikes Peak with my Turbocharged 2ZZ MR-S. I asked for some advice from Reddit before making the trip and it paid off. TLDR bring a jacket and a hat. Hold onto your sun glasses!

The trip out was crazy windy with construction materials blown all over the highway (I would estimate 50 MPH winds!). However, things calmed down and the day was clear and beautiful.

A little background on the car. The Turbo is an EFR so it comes on very low and the wastegate was set at 10 PSI for the hill. That setting is WAY below the efficiency island so I get fairly high intake air temperatures for such low boost. Additionally, the intercooler setup is currently sitting in my garage so the only charge cooling I am running is a 50%/50% water methanol mix controlled by a MAP based progressive flow controller. So, the engine power is impacted pretty substantially by ambient temperatures.

About the mountain. Coming into the “park” there was a line that took about 30 min. Plenty of time to heat soak my intake pipes. After that just about every pickup truck and van leisurely putted up the hill at 20 MPH. So, it took a while to drive up but the views were spectacular! Eventually we reached the shuttle parking lot where I was told I would have to take a shuttle to the top. During Covid…. No thanks. So I decided to hike a bit. Man was is chilly. Probably 40 degrees F with a very strong wind. Almost lost my glasses!

After my hike when I went to leave the shuttle lot I chatted up the park ranger that was only allowing shuttle vans up the ~2 mile remaining climb to the summit. Well, he took a liking to the Spyder and grinned and said to go ahead on up to the summit. From there it was really just me on the road for a couple of miles run up to the top. The air was chilly so the boost was cool and set by spring pressure. So, the engine was making a good bit more power on boost than I was accustomed to. However, off boost it was a complete dog. The transition from off to on boost was quite abrupt compared to the nice gradual application of power down at the lower altitudes and higher ambient temperatures. So, for the most part I was extra careful in the corners. In between the curves it was a blast. So much so that there were a few crests that surprised me. On one crest in particular I managed to catch air probably on all four corners! I feel lucky the suspension is on stock springs with upgraded KYB struts since the car settled perfectly clean as if it was designed to land like that. Once I arrived at the top a short cool down was in order but otherwise the car performed flawlessly and zero traffic enforcement was seen the entire trip.

All in all I would highly recommend the trip even if you don’t have forced induction. The only real advice I would give is go during the week nowhere near a holiday weekend.

One of these things is not like the others.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well at the summit there was a ton of construction. Really no good spot to shoot the car. That part was kind of sad.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Colorado has some great roads. Love going up there but it's becoming very congested in areas like Colorado Springs.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tell me about it! I went to Evergreen. Thousands upon thousands of obnoxious Harleys. I feel sorry for the folks in those towns.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I did pike's peak in a Nissan Versa. White knuckle all the way. Scared the crap out of me. Also did mt. Evans. Just as scary. But did it in a Prius. Car was fully charged when we got back to the bottom!

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
Wait they're not letting cars go to the summit?

The time i went up it was nice a sunny at the bottom and some crazy cloud passing thru with flurries at the top.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The entire summit is under construction. There were only about 15 total parking spaces. So, they were running shuttles from a parking lot lower down. I just ended up getting lucky and being allowed through. The vast majority of cars were down in the lower lot. So, if you go make sure it is not a busy day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts