MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any tips on restoring the black plastic grill in the rear bumper? Mine is badly faded. I was thinking of repainting with trim paint but thought I would ask for suggestions first.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Anyone have any tips on restoring the black plastic grill in the rear bumper? Mine is badly faded. I was thinking of repainting with trim paint but thought I would ask for suggestions first.
The rear grill, as well as all the other external plastic parts, is not black. They are charcoal gray. None-the-less, If you want them to be black, use Krylon Fusion spray-paint. It works remarkably well.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The rear grill, as well as all the other external plastic parts, is not black. They are charcoal gray. None-the-less, If you want them to be black, use Krylon Fusion spray-paint. It works remarkably well.
Short of that, Mothers' "Back-to-Black" does improve the weathered look with a bit less effort than painting.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My advice would be to use Black Plastidip - if you like the way it looks you can either keep it on or peel it off and spray with paint. If you don't like the way it looks, you can peel it off. Repeat for other pieces of trim...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I did my side vents and wiper cowl with the Krylon Fusion satin black. Don't do it in gloss, as it will look out of place. As for holding up, it's been a couple of years since I painted them, the car is hardly garaged and it's still holding up.

I recently used plasti-dip on a front lip, and I think it would do a good job on the plastics as well.

If you decide to paint it, wash the parts with dishwashing soap to remove any waxes or grease that may be on it. You may be able to throw them in the dishwasher, but use the top rack, and make sure the wife doesn't know. I've not washed any plastic spyder parts in the dishwasher, but I've washed other plastic parts, as well as some gun parts in the dishwasher with good results. I'm also single though.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I did my side vents and wiper cowl with the Krylon Fusion satin black. Don't do it in gloss, as it will look out of place. As for holding up, it's been a couple of years since I painted them, the car is hardly garaged and it's still holding up.

I recently used plasti-dip on a front lip, and I think it would do a good job on the plastics as well.

If you decide to paint it, wash the parts with dishwashing soap to remove any waxes or grease that may be on it. You may be able to throw them in the dishwasher, but use the top rack, and make sure the wife doesn't know. I've not washed any plastic spyder parts in the dishwasher, but I've washed other plastic parts, as well as some gun parts in the dishwasher with good results. I'm also single though.

I want to play with the plasti dip soooo bad. I may have to pick up a can when my husband isn't looking.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
+1 for Plasti-Dip... I used it for the wheels on my FJ Cruiser, it came out great--and it has been really durable, and I really like the texture and feel of it.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I want to play with the plasti dip soooo bad. I may have to pick up a can when my husband isn't looking.
It really is neat stuff. On my lip, I sprayed it right over primer that I had wet sanded with 600 grit. It still peels off with no damage to the original part. The pain would be if you were to only paint part of a single piece, such as a racing stripe down the car. You can't really lay out a tape line for the stuff.

Another thing is if you have to touch it up, it's super easy, just clean it and spray more on it. I was in a hurry one morning a few days after installing the front lip, and scraped it going into a parking lot on campus. Some of it started to peel off underneath, so I pulled of what was hanging, which felt like thin latex, masked for overspray, and touched it right up.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I use MOTHERS back to black and it works fine. It's next to impossible to find regular car wash soap that doesn't have wax. The wax in the soap gives the plastics a weathered look.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
I use Mothers Back to Black on the rear engine shield and front cowl. Works great and is long-lasting. Should be the ticket for the grill.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
My advice would be to use Black Plastidip - if you like the way it looks you can either keep it on or peel it off and spray with paint. If you don't like the way it looks, you can peel it off. Repeat for other pieces of trim...
That's what I did and it turned out great.It is also more subtle and not glossy.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Nice job dude! That looks pro!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.