MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are not familiar, a projector retrofit consists of installing a projector made for HID bulbs into a headlight that did not come with it, or came with poor quality ones. HIDs in halogen reflector housings are a huge no no, and HIDs in halogen projector housings are generally less than ideal. Yes, quality HIDs in our 03+ housings are quite good, but there's a lot of room for improvement!

The Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 is a 2.5" bixenon projector. It has both a low beam and a high beam. The high beam is just a solenoid moving the cutoff shield out of the way, exposing more light. It also comes pre-tuned with a clear lens for that sharp blue cutoff. It's a quality projector in a tiny package, and unfortunately, probably the only projector that fits in our 03+ housings without cutting the high beam bowl.

The colorband:

Look at that width, and the fat streak of light along the cutoff:

Quick comparison of both of my stock 03+ projectors with quality HID bulbs run by OEM Lexus ballasts with a clear lens tune for optimal performance:

And a single Mini H1, before adjustments that should improve the hotspot significantly:

Unfortunately, the stock projector is cast into a bracket.

There is an adjuster, a ball joint, and three high beam bowl attachment points. Every single high beam attachment point is on a different level! It's a very funky bracket.

Side note: those are RHD projectors without the lens. The cutoff shield has a big slope on the wrong side, rather than having the DOT step USDM headlights have.

Thankfully, there is a solution to this problem. I sent out a headlight to a company called CB&D and they created custom brackets to adapt the Mini H1 7.0 to our headlights! It was an interesting process to witness, with many a 3D printed prototype and the final product CNC'd out of metal.

Here is the bracket fitted with the adjuster, ball joint, and projector:

And a spare (and abused) high beam bowl attached:

This bracket makes retrofitting your headlights mostly painless and as plug and play as possible. No cutting, no irreversible modifications, you'll just need a few extra long screws for the high beam bowl and screws and nuts for the ball joint holder (as the bracket is not threaded).

I'll be posting more photos in this thread as I tackle my main set of headlights. I just wanted to test fit some stuff and show it off! Since all the R&D is done (and paid for), these brackets will be made available to Spyderchat users!

·
Registered
111 Posts
did you ever get some of these brackets? I'm looking into doing some HID headlights but I want to have bixenon, not just low beams.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the brackets, I paid for the development I better get em! But I never ended up getting to this project. However, I still HIGHLY recommend it. Especially now that there's a D2S projector on the market with the Mini H1 bolt pattern, I believe Lightwerkz has a video on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been doing some forum research for this project and
1) most threads are pretty old
2) you seem to be the ultimate source of knowledge

I got some 03+ headlights coming in. I want:
  • halo in the reflector area as DRL
  • high + low beam coming from the projector

can you recommend parts to buy? I can figure out the wiring and assembly but it seems like there is a million options in terms of HID parts/kits/etc. Are you saying I can buy the D2S projector and your bracket?

p.s. all the photos in this thread are dead

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha well thank you.

The photos are gone because Dropbox decided to remove the Public feature, which sucks. nothing I can do. I have the photos if you need specific ones.

I dunno about a halo in the reflector because it's not a round reflector. But some people have done it. High/low from the projector is easy.

From my understanding, and I haven't really kept up with it but nothing seems to have changed, you'd need the brackets and a compatible projector. And of course the associated HID bulbs, ballasts, and harness which is obvious. But yeah the D2S projector is both low and high beam in one. Here's some content to consume.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts