MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an '04 spyder recently, and whenever I shift the the car into reverse, a reverse beeper sounds for the whole time it is in reverse. Do any of yall know how to turn it off, or even where it could be? It sounds like it is coming from inside the cabin but I couldn't find it. Also, do any of yall have the same thing happen when the car is in reverse?

·
Registered
113 Posts
the "beep" should be going "beep - beep - beep" and as you get closer to objects it should beep faster until the point when you are just about to hit something. then it will be a continuous bbbbbeeeeeeepppp!
today my sensor is a continuous beep as i have my tow bar fitted and it is right in front of the sensor!

the actual beeper is located just back from the drivers right shoulder in a right hand drive car(well here in OZ we do drive on the correct side of the road). "Waits in anticipation of abuse from the drivers over the big pond!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info, the dealer I bought it from said it had been out of the country, but was not sure where it had been. Know I know:lol:

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I bought an '04 spyder recently, and whenever I shift the the car into reverse, a reverse beeper sounds for the whole time it is in reverse. Do any of yall know how to turn it off, or even where it could be? It sounds like it is coming from inside the cabin but I couldn't find it. Also, do any of yall have the same thing happen when the car is in reverse?
Is your car SMT? If I'm not mistaken, all SMTs beep steadily in reverse. The sound comes from a peizo electric speaker inside the instrument cluster. It is easy to disassemble and quiet if you like. I put tape over mine. It is still audible but folks nearby don't think a dump truck is backing up.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
the "beep" should be going "beep - beep - beep" and as you get closer to objects it should beep faster until the point when you are just about to hit something. then it will be a continuous bbbbbeeeeeeepppp!
today my sensor is a continuous beep as i have my tow bar fitted and it is right in front of the sensor!

the actual beeper is located just back from the drivers right shoulder in a right hand drive car(well here in OZ we do drive on the correct side of the road). "Waits in anticipation of abuse from the drivers over the big pond!
If i waited for a continous beep, my spyder would have made its way into the living room. :huh:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Annoying but Necessary

My 03 JDM 6 speed also carries the beep but you get to love it when you realize how close 1st speed is to reverse. I've been in a hurry several times throwing my shifter into what I thought was first only to be saved by the beep:lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I install echomaster products for work and if its our system in your car it would depend on the installer where they put the speaker in the vehicle, we have a standard here in hawaii when we do our installs so its easily verified that its our work,

if it sounds like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTMkRTcKYig then you have an echomaster,

the video is just an example of what it sounds like but not the unit that would be used on anything besides a truck who wanted a plug and play unit, lmk if it is ours and i can help you disable it, or if its just a factory reverse notification then i am of no help to you sir:),

·
Registered
49 Posts
My SMT just goes beep - beep - beep to let me know I'm in "R" and not "S". Annoying at times, but I've gotten used to it over the years.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
781 Posts
My SMT just goes beep - beep - beep to let me know I'm in "R" and not "S". Annoying at times, but I've gotten used to it over the years.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
I'm embarrassed by it. :p

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think its a Japanese thing. even my partners supra did it!

i think your talking about is reverse senses not the reverse beeping!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I actually wired a beeping device when reversed. There are some idiots that just won't move when i'm backing out so this device is plus for me.:lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have an 03 SMT Spyder, and the reverse beep normally sounds when I put it in reverse.
However... and this is important, if it does NOT sound the beep ( sometimes erratic on mine) and I leave it in reverse for more than about 2 seconds, the engine will die, and I will need to play with the gear lever to get the green Nuetral light back to let the engine re-start.

I believe the erratic problem is with a sensor or relay, but I have no idea where ! I cleaned the 3 connections under the air box, as suggested by others.

The beep to me is a help, as without it, the engine would die and throw a P16 46 code.

The beeper is normal for 03 SMT spyders, and is a help in warning the driver of unusual transmission problems...... if it does not beep when in reverse.

Enjoy your ride.

Harryco.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts