MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car:
White 2001 southern car owned by a SC member. Two owner car with a clean history. Car was shipped from TN to PA, which turned out to be an extremely smooth transaction. We had a minor hurdle getting the car to the start point, but a few calls fixed that. Car currently has 120k miles on it.

The engine:
Initially I considered a later year engine. Scoured many salvage yards, but luck failed me. Ended up finding a great deal on SC. It was a ~60k mile engine from a Celica GTS.

The gearbox:
Here is where we pondered different ideas. My black 2zz had a 6 speed with LSD and it was great although shifting could be problematic. Eventually I ended up redoing the shift cables and replacing the shift cage with the OEM cage instead of the short shifter. The current silver car has a 2zz with a 5 speed. My biggest beef if that its not geared quite right. So I decided its a 6 speed route, decided that going the LSD route would take longer. The gearbox is a ~70k mile one from a Matrix.

The intake:
This is a problem I need to solve better. The black 2zz had a modified intake that went behind the battery. The silver 2zz has a PPE intake, I ended up using my own coupler as the Vibe GT intake manifold would cause the intake to sit next to the battery. This time around I am going to replicate the black 2zz system but try to fab up a bracket so it doesn't dangle.

The header:
I originally ended up getting an Elise header to fab up a custom exhaust. The reason was the Elise header has the air injection covers as I anticipated using a later engine. The plan is to take the header off my silver 2zz and use the Elise header on my silver car as it has a 04 Vibe engine.

The exhaust:
Going to go stock with this one. The black 2zz had a stock exhaust, the silver one has a ghetto fabbed one that sounds good but is too loud.

The ECU:
The black 2zz used a 01 GTS ECU so that's the route I'm going. Although, I have an Apexi in the silver 2zz which I may use. To avoid wiring problems we are using the MWR harness adapter.

The issues to fix:
- Seats: over time the seats have taken some wear.
- Top: few small tears, debating whether to fix or replace.
- Paint: a full detail is needed and to touch up a few small nicks.
- Radio: didn't have a radio, so we are using a Scion one.
- Hood release: broken and needs replaced.
- Headlights: needs a good cleaning.

I'm going to try and post a few pictures of the swap as it progresses. We finally have all the parts collected to begin the process. So here is the car arriving after a long 500+ journey.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pondering intake ideas:

1. Go with what we had on the black 2zz. Which is an Injen X-1013 filter with a modified AEM intake tube.
2. Go with the PPE that is on the silver 2zz. The problem is I don't like the fit and finish and the location. The coupler placed it next to the battery, I ended up using a 45 degree coupler to place it behind the battery.
3. Make my own:
The optimal intake diameter is around 2.6-2.7" for the 2zz unless you want to tune it with a PFC or deal with a CEL. Spectre sells a MAF adapter that is a 3" unit with multiple adapters to reduce the ID. Better option may be to find a used short RAM intake for a Celica or Vibe and use it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'll have a MWR 3" intake and PPEs header n dp for sale in 2 weeks;). Only a month old.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thus far...
Old engine is out.
Shift selector is done, still need to tap holes for the linkage since its a Matrix box.
Installed the new lift bolts.
New valve cover gasket.

Waiting on parts for the so called 60k mile motor I got on SC. Was told the engine had a broken tensioner but a replacement tensioner was provided. Only issue the replacement tensioner was not for a 2zz. Bam $180 wasted. Found out next that the VVTLi connectors were broken which were never expressed to me prior to the sale. Bam $32 and $80 on new connectors. Still trying to resolve the issues with the seller and hoping I get some money back. :(

New tensioner and connectors should arrive at the end of the week. PPE header was supposed to be shipped yesterday. What was supposed to be completed by the weekend is now becoming a major chore.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shift selector questions:

Gearbox is a Matrix 6 speed, from triz's thread I see that:

However, my Matrix box already has that end plugged? Anyone know if the shift selector cap is needed for the Matrix transmissions. I'll post a picture of what mine looks like shortly.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
IIRC, the shift shaft for the MR2 tranny conversion is longer so that plug will have to come out and you'll need to install the plug that comes with the shift shaft kit or a block plate.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
IIRC, the shift shaft for the MR2 tranny conversion is longer so that plug will have to come out and you'll need to install the plug that comes with the shift shaft kit or a block plate.

Couldnt he replace it from the other end if the shaft is in the right location??? Only reason we have to use that plug is because we actually have to switch everything over from one side to the other.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Way behind schedule now.

New tensioner and oil pressure switch arrives tomorrow. Other VVTLi connector hasn't shipped yet. Sitting idly waiting for parts that weren't supposed to be purchased. Engine seller refunded a measly $115, so that's still $185 in extra parts I had to get.

With all this newly added fiasco the new intake hasn't been fabbed up yet. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I have something.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GRRRRRR!!!

So the engine is in the car. Not before more ******* busted parts. We inspected the oil pan, its bent. This after I repeatedly told the idiotic member here to make sure he strapped and secured the damn engine properly. Oh I got the pathetic lip service of yeah its secured. Seriously, I've now wasted $400 bucks extra on an engine that I could have easily gotten at a salvage yard for less money and with less miles and less issues.

Sorry lads I'm done with this forum. I got scammed on my silver MR2 last year by a forum member and now on a engine. I've lost enough money here to realize this place isn't worth my time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1zz - 12101-0D010
2zz - 12101-22040

I have no idea what the difference is. Some sites list the 1zz and 2zz as the same part.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
Seriously no matter how good you strap it down the oil pan takes a beating. My 2zz oil pan was slightly dented and scratched at the bottom too.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
1zz pan will fit a 2zz but it has baffling. Best of both worlds is trim the 1zz pan to fit the 2zz pick up and now you have a baffled pan for nothing but a bit of time. The only way to not damage the pan is to ship it on a cradle that supports the motor around the pan.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I actually was going to use a 1zz pan in my 2zz until I was talked into a moroso pan. You can have it, just pay for shipping it's already trimmed to fit the 2zz

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, my blood pressure with people on this forum is rising!!!!

I bought a PPE 2zz header from a member. What I got is this:

Notice that the bolt pattern is NOT for a 2zz engine. A 2zz PPE header looks like this:

This is what a OEM 2zz Elise header looks like:

I have reached the end of my rope. This is the THIRD different person that has screwed me over in 12 months on this site.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can anyone help please?

I have lost all trust in the members here. Right now I am over my head in parts that don't work because I've been lied to.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.