MR2 SpyderChat banner

Right Rear Tire Going Bald

12K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  pete 
#1 ·
I bought my MR2 about 20k miles ago and when I bought it, the tread on all 4 tires seemed to be ok. However, last time I had it up on a lift I decided to take a look underneath for a bit and noticed my rear right tire is almost totally bald, while the other 3 have probably 60-70% tread left on them. When I took it to my mechanic, he said the Spyders are known for that; he said the torque of the engine doesn't turn both wheels evenly...anyone else have that issue? Would that be an alignment issue? I doubt it would considering it's only happening to one tire.

#3 ·
+1 on both parts, alignment and a new mechanic. Should not be happening for the reasons he stated or you would see a lot more used tires for sale in sets of three.

#4 ·
Hold on a sec. have a question first.

DO you do a lot of burnouts? Spin the drive wheel a lot? If so, this is to be expected.
If not, then I'm in full agreement with the previous replies.

Get Two (2) new tires for the back. Same brand/model as the front.

In either case, Get One (1) new mechanic. This guy's BSing you.

#5 ·
DO you do a lot of burnouts? Spin the drive wheel a lot? If so, this is to be expected.
In either case, Get One (1) new mechanic. This guy's BSing you.
I agree, that is BS....but, BS is common....not the tire wear you are experiencing...laugh.

I don't see how 'burnouts' would wear one tire and not the other. I'd suspect a tire that was somehow screwed up in the manufacturing process....maybe the 'slow wear' additive (whatever that might be) was missing when that tire went through the line. Put a couple of new tires on the back and check again....or check the local used tire dealer and see if he can match the other three.

Rick

PS: pturley: I've heard the CC luggage rack is bad for the trunk (hey, my mechanic told me..). You want to sell it?.....grin

#7 ·
Yes, an open differential will spin the RR wheel all day. If you hit the gas hard in hard right turns, it will spin the RR tire. My right rear was worn significantly more than the rest when I bought my MR2. I bought one matching tire and replaced it, until the rest wore out. Then replaced all four. It was a little squirrely with the one new tire.

#10 ·
Yes, an open differential will spin the RR wheel all day. If you hit the gas hard in hard right turns, it will spin the RR tire.
+1. You got it.

Every open diff rear drive car I've ever owned has worn one rear tire quicker than the other. They wore a lot closer to even after getting LSDs.

OP, odds are you got an open diff. My vote - get an LSD and a pair of new rear tires (matching brand and model to the front), and let the fun begin!

#9 · (Edited)
Low air pressure would cause the outer edges to wear, over inflation the center. Burn outs would cause the RR to wear evenly across the tire. Lots of camber could cause one side edge wear. Lots of toe can cause wear. I don't like what your mechanic is saying at all. Are you driving real hard with lots of power sliding the end out or spinning one wheel? If so you might expect lots of tire wear.

So far I have visually even wear across all my tires with the rear wearing faster.

Have you checked to see what tires are on your car?
I suspect you will find three tires are the same and the RR tire is of a softer compound that wears quicker.
What bothers me most is the fact you are not checking your tires very often if at all. Bad tires = bad times.

#12 ·
I also wore my right rear faster than the left. My work commute has twice the rights, though. I've noticed this on the stock Potenzas and the Blizzaks.

#14 ·
when I bought my spyder I had a mildly similar issue, but it also tracked funny, I had to hold the wheel to the left while traveling in a str8 line... turns out that the toe alignment was off on bot rear tires, one + and the other -... caused my car to litterally travel like this | / |going down the road... if your expirencing something even remotely similar, aka having to hold the wheel to the left or right, you def have an alignment issue...

do NOT go to Sears, they can't ever get it right and will tell you that pulling to the right is recommended from the factory... BS!

I went to Brakes Plus and got all 4 aligned for about $60, and you should get it done every time you put on new tires..... just food for thought...

currently, I'm fighting a camber issue, but 3 of the struts on mine are shot.... saving money for a 32 way adjustable full suspension....

#15 ·
When getting the car aligned go to a place with advanced laser guided equipment. The shop I visited when I changed my setup offered a “sports” alignment which mean they align it per your specs rather than putting it “in the green” which can result in a big difference from corner to corner. It will be a night and day difference when driving the car. I’d say 0 toe, the car won’t turn as easy but it will track much better. Look for some treads on alignment specs or maybe somebody can tune in and provide some ideal specs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.