MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im going have a set of Works S1 come in soon(hopefully)
Size is 16x7 +28 and 16x8 +20.
Now for tires selection
Pretty much
the front will be 195/45/16 which limit to S Drive.
the back will be 205/45/16 which limit to S Drive.

Tirerack and discounttiredirect isnt showing much options. Would it be wise up up the width of the tires for more selection or keeping it at stockish size?

-Kiny

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Maybe if you got wheels to go with the rims it might help.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
BFG G-Force TA KDW and Toyo R1R are available in both 205/45/16 and 225/45/16. I have been happy with this setup.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not trying to stretch but to have the nice fitment that wont be rubbing issue...
guess Ill just wait till the rim comes in.:wub:

·
Registered
961 Posts
The 205's are too narrow for a 8inch rim but it can be done. The problem with going any wider using 16's is you will be running a taller tire and will affect gearing. If you don't mind then it's not a problem.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The problem with going any wider using 16's is you will be running a taller tire and will affect gearing.
It will alter the speedometer reading as well.

Addition:
If you insist upon the wheels (not rims) you've mentioned, you'll need
230/40R16 in the front.
250/35R16 in the rear.

I doubt matching tires are available in these sizes, and I doubt they'd fit under the car if you found some.
Reconsider your decision.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
The 205's are too narrow for a 8inch rim but it can be done. The problem with going any wider using 16's is you will be running a taller tire and will affect gearing. If you don't mind then it's not a problem.
His front rims are 16"X7"--a great fit for most 205's--the 8's are for the rear, 225's. Going wider will not necessarily change the gearing--that is all dependent on the aspect ratio and the outside diameter. Nearly all tire manufacturers list spec charts that show the overall diameter.

Note: With those offsets, you are likely going to have to shave the bumps off the inside of your fender liner. And you may need to add a little camber and/or do a little fender rolling.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
205/45/16 up front, 225/45/16 in back... they fit perfectly and they are very close to OEM outside diameters. I am running 16X7 with -40 offset front and rear. I am not quite flush--my ONLY concern for you is the fender/fender liner clearance on the outside.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
205/45/16 up front, 225/45/16 in back... they fit perfectly and they are very close to OEM outside diameters. I am running 16X7 with -40 offset front and rear. I am not quite flush--my ONLY concern for you is the fender/fender liner clearance on the outside.

Yes I am quite worry about that issue either... Worst case senario Ill have to raise the car acommodate
Thus the 195 instead of 205 in the front.
Still researching till it comes.

teaser.

·
Registered
961 Posts
His front rims are 16"X7"--a great fit for most 205's--the 8's are for the rear, 225's. Going wider will not necessarily change the gearing--that is all dependent on the aspect ratio and the outside diameter. Nearly all tire manufacturers list spec charts that show the overall diameter.

Note: With those offsets, you are likely going to have to shave the bumps off the inside of your fender liner. And you may need to add a little camber and/or do a little fender rolling.
I'm just going by the tire sizes the OP was planning on running.

I know going wider won't change gearing. It's simply that there are no tires available wider than 205 for 16in rims with a sidewall height that won't change gearing. 225/45/16 is 1in larger in diameter than 225/45/15. That is significant

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
You shouldn't need to raise the car^_^. You will be close, and likely have a little bit of rub--just do a mild fender roll and you are home free. Do some searching--I'm sure many people have done a more aggressive fitment than what you are considering. By the way, nice wheels!

·
Registered
802 Posts
+1 on all of Mateo Largo's comments

I'm lowered on Tein coilovers dropped all the way to the bottom.
Even with 245's in the rear on +35 offset, I don't get any rubbing. But 205/50-15 on +42 rubbed a hole in the bulge on the fender liner, where the bumper meets the fender. Going to see if sway bars or slightly stiffer springs solve my problem.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have 16x7 wheels (+40 offset - I think) all around with 195/45-16 front and 215/40-16 rear and have no clearance issues. The major downside is tire selection. My Goodyears have been discontinued and only S-drives are available in the US in these sizes anymore. The biggest problem I see is the OP's offsets. Moving the wheel centerline out that much with the small offset could lead to some "squirelly" handling because of the scrub radius.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts