MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,072 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Probably the most influential chicken farmer in automotive history.

I may have to make me some Carroll Shelby Texas Chili, pretty good eatin'.

RIP

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Not many people get to live the dream like Shelby did! He kicked inertia's ass for a big part of his 89 years! Long live Carroll Shelby!

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
what a guy. LeMans winner, invented the Shelby Cobra form a British sports car and an American power plant. DMAN that is one sexy car! Directed Ford racing teams to repeatedly kick Enzo's a$$ in the '60's.

just like Sue [Johnny Cash reference]... ya gotta be tough to be a man named Carrol

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
...........................ya know........we got a guy here who does these things..............how bout you, in the future, let him.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
...........................ya know........we got a guy here who does these things..............how bout you, in the future, let him.
So are you saying that we should all be quiet, say nothing, and wait on a NOTD?

I always enjoy Ag's NOTD, and would like to see him do one on Carroll Shelby. No one is trying to replicate what he does, as that would be impossible.

Most of us have observed Shelby our entire lives, and it's only natural to have a comment on his passing.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
In the 1960s I lived two doors down from a Sunoco station that had two repair bays that were always filled with the cream of the crop of 60s super cars because the owner allowed the guys that worked there to use the lifts and tools after hours if they kept the place clean, kept underage personnel from drinking and didn't annoy the neighbors.

My brother and I hung out there, and often got to ride in and later drive some of the cars owned by the older guys in the neighborhood.

Sometime in what I'm going to guess was late '66 or early '67 a white Mustang with a blue double stripe running the length of the car showed up parked at the gas station. It caused an immediate crowd to form, and the guy who owned it had it for a year or two before he switched first to a 428 CJ and then finally to a Boss 429.

I got to drive it probably in '68 or so in exchange for a wash/wax/detail job. Fun car, fast for its day.

A friend of mine whose father was an engineer of some sort that had both an airplane and a high performance boat bought the one 427 Cobra roadster that came to the local Ford dealership. I got to ride in that one a few times, and drove it (gingerly) around the block with his dad in the passenger seat.

My slot car during that craze was a GT-40 in the style and paint scheme of the Le Mans winning cars.

Shelby meant performance back then.

R.I.P. Mr. Shelby.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I can't find the list of auto enthusiast related things that we are and are not allowed to comment on. Would you mind reprinting it for me?

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts