MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
im reading some stuff about a cam lock pin or something?
anyone know anything about this.
Im pulling the motor down on friday just keen to see if there is anything else it might be before i waste a whole day
from the web
"To guarantee the proper start of the motor, a lock pin latched the exhaust camshaft at the most progressive end soon after switching off the ignition. Additionally, to insure that the lock pin functions properly, the exhaust side of VVT-i controller featured an updated assist spring, which employed torque in the advance side after the motor stopped running."

·
Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
32 Posts
Any reason to believe you have problems with the cam adjuster?
I would expect this lock pin to be in place to have good compression before the oil pressure builds (and the ECU can control the cam timing).
So if anything, it is more a thing for the engine to start quickly.
On a stock engine, I would also be surprised if the VVT even allows for piston / valve contact and if such a thing happens, I would expect bent valves before a seized crank.
I would not expect the seizure of the crank to be related to the cam gears.
On the 1ZZ-FE, Toyota even uses pentagon bolts for the adjuster, I guess they do not want you to mess with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have spoken to marc and found this is just a vvti lock not a specific cam shaft lock.
I will be dropping box tomorrow will let you know what i find

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
im reading some stuff about a cam lock pin or something?
anyone know anything about this.
Im pulling the motor down on friday just keen to see if there is anything else it might be before i waste a whole day
from the web
"To guarantee the proper start of the motor, a lock pin latched the exhaust camshaft at the most progressive end soon after switching off the ignition. Additionally, to insure that the lock pin functions properly, the exhaust side of VVT-i controller featured an updated assist spring, which employed torque in the advance side after the motor stopped running."
Cam phasers lock into the minimum overlap position whenever the engine speed goes below a set level. This is to maintain idle quality and also because there isn't enough oil pressure at low revs on a hot engine to operate the cam phaser reliably. Cam phasers use a fair amount of oil flow. This strategy also ensures that the phasers are locked when the engine shuts down and will be in min-overlap position for the next start (which is necessary). This "no-fly-zone" for cam phasers is part of the OEM calibration.
Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks mate.

I dropped motor yesterday and checked clutch and fly etc couldnt find anything. Even when flywheel bolts were removed I still had a jam.

I thought then that it HAS to be stuck bores and as its such a new engine it would potentially be more prone as its not run in yet. So i put some kerosene down the bores (probs not the best but i plan on dumping oil once its run and idled for a bit.)
Anyhoo I managed to free it up and get it all mounted again and turning over now.
I just need to pull plugs and blow kero out tye bores and it should fire i just wanted to leave it overnight to soak.

Managed to do it just by disconnecting inlet pipes and shifter cables and rear coolant line.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
got the car 99% back together last night but ran out of steam at midnight. First rain free opportunity.
I just need to put the hub back on one side then i can drop it and drive it.
The car runs really nice got it up to temp and everything works.
Its a bit smokey from the kero i tipped into free the bores.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wish I were as close as you are. I'm 2-3 weeks back ordered on my tools. you should mount a camera on the rear of the car and upload a nice drive on youtube.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
hasnt been easy, had to wait ages for heaps of freight etc and wrong parts. Wrecking yard chopping my loom not supplying alternator etc.

Glad to be at the pointy end. Will certainly do some decent filming, will try to upload at the very least a good walk around and a strap down the road.
Keen to see what it goes like the 4.6 gears compared to what everyone else runs.

Then in a month or two i should have some track day footage up.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts