MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Only recently did I discover that the AW11 preceded the NA by a few years. It鈥檚 almost as if the MR2 was a proof of concept that Mazda needed to move forward with the Miata, though that is probably fanboyish thinking.

Anyway, the ND is pretty cool. I prefer the 86 which is Toyota鈥檚 solid competitor to it. If they brought back the MR2 I think it would bridge the 86 and Supra thus costing more than the ND but also outperforming it.

Registered
Only recently did I discover that the AW11 preceded the NA by a few years. It鈥檚 almost as if the MR2 was a proof of concept that Mazda needed to move forward with the Miata, though that is probably fanboyish thinking.

Anyway, the ND is pretty cool. I prefer the 86 which is Toyota鈥檚 solid competitor to it. If they brought back the MR2 I think it would bridge the 86 and Supra thus costing more than the ND but also outperforming it.
But who will Toyota partner with to build the new MR2? We all know they won't do it alone 馃き

Registered
NA Miata is best Miata because it has pop-up headlights and looks happy with spyder wheels

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Vehicle registration plate

It also has the shape of a lozenge. This is scientific evidence that can't be denied.
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille

Registered
But who will Toyota partner with to build the new MR2? We all know they won't do it alone
They'd partner with Lotus, a company well versed in the lightweight MR platform; then screw over the MR2 on engine options...just like the good ol'days

Registered
But who will Toyota partner with to build the new MR2? We all know they won't do it alone 馃き
I don't see this as a problem.

Would be cool to see a 4th gen MR2 with a Porsche engine and suspension
Not only was it with Toyota鈥檚 help that Porsche avoided bankruptcy in the late 90鈥檚, but IIRC a Toyota executive says he would like to see a Porsche Toyota team up sports car. An MR2 based on Cayman/Boxster platform is sooo obvious and would be amazing.

Registered
Not only was it with Toyota鈥檚 help that Porsche avoided bankruptcy in the late 90鈥檚, but IIRC a Toyota executive says he would like to see a Porsche Toyota team up sports car. An MR2 based on Cayman/Boxster platform is sooo obvious and would be amazing.
In modern day dont you know what will happen??? they will just sell us a re-badged boxster...with nice big toyota logo

Registered
It'll be a hybrid. I believe the next Miata has already been anounced as a hybrid.

Stick the battery pack in front of the back wheels: Bam. MR2.

Registered
Personally would rather have a fun reliable MR2. So put the Camry 2.5 in it with TRD hop, sell it at a reasonable price and drive for 300K. That would be the best ever MR2. Don't make me cry with Porsche engine maintenance. Can buy a Porsche if you want a Porsche. And anyone that wants more out of the MR2 usually puts in whatever engine they prefer anyway. Anyone tried putting the Camry 2.5 in the Spyder?

Registered
This gentleman was being facetious. The Camry 2.5 aka 2AR-FE is becoming a quite common swap.
Gentleman? Who you callin鈥 a gentleman?? J/k...look at this thread for a lot of 2ar swap info. It鈥檚 a very well known & documented swap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts