MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this the other day when ordering a radiator. I always check for discontinued part deals and I ordered several pairs to make sure they were correct. Received them yesterday and they are correct. No matching fronts available, but at that price hard to pass up.

Get them while they have them and before they find their pricing mistakes!

Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

Registered
2001 syder
I found this the other day when ordering a radiator. I always check for discontinued part deals and I ordered several pairs to make sure they were correct. Received them yesterday and they are correct. No matching fronts available, but at that price hard to pass up.

Get them while they have them and before they find their pricing mistakes!

View attachment 89433
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a set. Hard to turn down.

Registered
2001 Manual Green / Tan
haha wth this is cheaper than lunch! I guess I should order a set just for backup.

Question for those who replaced their struts, how many miles did your OEM struts last before you replaced them?

Registered
Kewl, because I pulled the trigger ;)

Oh, it's a Don't make as opposed to Don't carry....weird, wonder why they don't make the fronts.........

And of course, because it me fronts that desperately need replacing!

Registered
"Question for those who replaced their struts, how many miles did your OEM struts last before you replaced them "

well, I've got about 200k on my OEM's........ but most of that is interstate miles (4years of 70 mile daily commute each way) and those don't really wear out the struts

Registered
I bought my car at 114K miles and one of the first things I did was replace the shocks all around with KYB's. The shocks weren't too bad but new ones made a big improvement. Would have gone with the Gabriels in the back at that price. Top bearings, rubber bumpers and dust shields were almost as much as the struts

Registered
Lol. I just bought these a few days after I bought the front KYBs. I couldnt pass them up.

Paired with the KYBs up front, they offer a truly spectacular ride in comparison to the old struts.

Normal driving on flat ground, this combination offers a Cadillac like experience. Over minor bumps and potholes the front is noticably stiffer than the rears, which are also quite stiff. Which is to be expected as this is a sports car. They dampen quite a bit on short turns, but in long fast turns there is alot of roll. This combination seems to offer excellent grip over various road surfaces, and driving styles.

So far I havent experienced any accidental oversteer. In fact with this combination there is due warning with a bit of noticeable understeer before the back wants to gently start sliding around. And I'm talking hairpin turns at 60+ that I don't dare take at maybe 35-40 in a regulaar car.

Now I will say the Gabreals are made in China, but they are like 1/10 the price of the no name chinese ones on ebay.

At this price you cant really go wrong.

Registered
2001 syder
Lol. I just bought these a few days after I bought the front KYBs. I couldnt pass them up.

Paired with the KYBs up front, they offer a truly spectacular ride in comparison to the old struts.

Normal driving on flat ground, this combination offers a Cadillac like experience. Over minor bumps and potholes the front is noticably stiffer than the rears, which are also quite stiff. Which is to be expected as this is a sports car. They dampen quite a bit on short turns, but in long fast turns there is alot of roll. This combination seems to offer excellent grip over various road surfaces, and driving styles.

So far I havent experienced any accidental oversteer. In fact with this combination there is due warning with a bit of noticeable understeer before the back wants to gently start sliding around. And I'm talking hairpin turns at 60+ that I don't dare take at maybe 35-40 in a regulaar car.

Now I will say the Gabreals are made in China, but they are like 1/10 the price of the no name chinese ones on ebay.

At this price you cant really go wrong.
They are actually based in Africa. Cape Town I believe. And Mexico.

Registered
I'm not arguing where they are headquartered, or mfg other product lines. The 5 dollar gabriels from rock auto happen to have made in china spamped on the side of the strut.

KYBs were made in Japan for the longest time. When they started mfg some of their products in other countries like China the quality began to suffer.

Some might prefer to pay extra and not have chinese struts on their racing car.

Registered
The amount of things made in China & stamped "made elsehwere" is staggering. I had to buy a brand specific clone scan tool for my other car....shipped directly from China with each part in the box stamped "made in USA".

Registered
I thought it might be to good to be true and hoped they weren鈥檛 made in china but I had already ordered some. I thought Rockauto might have left off a 0 like the time Amazon sold me a 2zz clutch for $25 then the next day raised the price $100 more.
With shipping, the price for each strut is $10 so not a big deal. The biggest hassle would be having to replace them soon after installing them.
The first time I ordered from RA years ago was a cam sensor which was Chinese garbage. Hopefully someone who has installed these struts can let us know if they鈥檙e any good.
Either way, thanks Okspyder for sharing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts