MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the elastic belt that run midway through the roof has succumbed to the Arizona heat and I now rabbit ears.

Was unable to source this part through my local Toyota dealer. Is there an actual p/n or are there any alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Guys can i ask something, why is the strap so important in preventing ears? I have my strap but i dont use it, but i take a few seconds to tuck the ears in when i fold the roof, even when i did have it fitted i still had to help the ears to fold in. Whats so hard about doing it manually?

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
As always I really appreciate the recommendations for my products. :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can buy the strap from Dev, and it is better than the factory one according to reviews. I have the opposite problem... my factory strap is fine but I cannot use it because the tabs that it buttons into on the top are almost completely torn off and only hanging from the top by a few threads.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You can buy the strap from Dev, and it is better than the factory one according to reviews. I have the opposite problem... my factory strap is fine but I cannot use it because the tabs that it buttons into on the top are almost completely torn off and only hanging from the top by a few threads.
lol same here. I have been to lazy to search for the fix or inspect it to do a proper DIY fix, so for now I have chosen to leave it be and just tuck it in manually.

·
Registered
73 Posts
lol same here. I have been to lazy to search for the fix or inspect it to do a proper DIY fix, so for now I have chosen to leave it be and just tuck it in manually.
Exactly. I briefly thought about sewing them back on, but besides the issue that I don't think it would be strong enough to hold up for very long I don't see enough material to sew them on to except for the outer layer of the top itself, and I'm not putting a needle through my top just for that. I need a replacement top eventually because mine has a few extremely small cuts and rips that I've repaired, but since it is currently waterproof even in bad storms and downpours it isn't on my high priority list to replace it yet. Until then I guess I'm just going to have to fold them in manually.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Exactly. I briefly thought about sewing them back on, but besides the issue that I don't think it would be strong enough to hold up for very long I don't see enough material to sew them on to except for the outer layer of the top itself, and I'm not putting a needle through my top just for that. I need a replacement top eventually because mine has a few extremely small cuts and rips that I've repaired, but since it is currently waterproof even in bad storms and downpours it isn't on my high priority list to replace it yet. Until then I guess I'm just going to have to fold them in manually.
LOL why this sounds like my exact situation. I thought about stitching but I as you mentioned I didn't think it would be strong enough to hold up, and as you said I'm not putting a needle through my top just for that. Lol I find myself in the same boat, I would eventually get a replacement top because of the straps and I have one extremely small cut near the back window (water proof) it's not on my high priority list to replace it so I have decided to fold them in manually for a while. Funny how identical the problems seem. I figured there was a solution other than replacement somewhere deep in forums but I haven't felt like digging yet (I swear if a cure for cancer was spyder related, use the search bar and you would find everything you need). I thought about being extremely lazy and painting some duct tape black and figured that might be a temporay solution for my straps problem BUT the idea is a bit tacky to me. Haven't looked into any possible damaging effects that may have on the top, how well it would hold, or how bad it would look so I haven't entertained the idea as a temporary solution. I'm much more comfortable just tucking them in nice and clean manually.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great Customer Service

Thanks for the input all, I placed the order yesterday and immediately received a personal email from Jon & Dev. Excellent customer service, I'm sure I'll be pleased with their product.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Not to take away from the quality or usefulness of the top strap.It did not work for me.It all depends on the condition of your top.I have to tuck mine manually even with the strap.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Not to take away from the quality or usefulness of the top strap.It did not work for me.It all depends on the condition of your top.I have to tuck mine manually even with the strap.
The strap is like the chicken and egg paradox.

The OEM strap design is the cause of the damage to the other components of the top.

The top strap we manufacture is what prevents the damage in the first place.
If the top is already damaged then there is very little our strap can do.

I am in the same boat as some of you as I have to manually lower my top and and then tuck in the ears. If I had this strap when I bought this car with a working top I wouldn't have to .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts