MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Spyderchat,

I have an 02 Spyder with about 119,XXX.00. I just recently rotated my tires and at slow speeds 20 mph I hear a grinding noise, metal grinding metal. No noise at higher speed levels. My guess is the rotor? I think the noise is coming from the right hand side, rear wheel. Just wondering what some input others may have.

·
Registered
663 Posts
At that milage you should need new pads ,check the rotors with your hand and see if you feel any ridges.Of course do this with the car stopped.
Also you should have staggered tyres & maybe even directional tyres .Spyder owners do not usually rotate tyres.
IIRC There is also a pin on the front or rear wheels that shoud have prevented rotating front to rear.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hrm...I'll check the direction of tires. I didn't think they were. I have aftermarket wheels and they are the same all the way around so they aren't staggered. This only started to happen after I changed them around.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
On wet days when My car is cold.I get a brake grinding noise on the right front for the first few stops and then it goes away.After replacing the front hubs/barrings it stopped doing it.To this day I really don't know what was causing or what cured it.Surface rust on the rotors?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So tires are right in direction. My guess would be break pads? I'll have to check it out tonight if I can get off work early enough.

·
Registered
663 Posts
So tires are right in direction. My guess would be break pads? I'll have to check it out tonight if I can get off work early enough.
If it happens without braking then the cylinders may be hanging up.You can feel the rotors for ridges but they may also have high spots due to slight warping.Not enough to cause steering wheel to feel it,they may need to be cut or lathed at this milage also.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like there is not enough space gap between the brakes and the rotors. I jacked up the back and and was rotating my tires and the rotors and brakes were scrapping on the driver side rear end. Brakes loose or popped out of place?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Seems like there is not enough space gap between the brakes and the rotors. I jacked up the back and and was rotating my tires and the rotors and brakes were scrapping on the driver side rear end. Brakes loose or popped out of place?
Not seen brake pads coming loose that much on this site,I would think you're brake cylinders are hanging up.Just not sure why a tire rotation would cause this to happen though.

·
Registered
998 Posts
It's call stuck parking cable. It was mentioned in the earlier post. Disconnect the cable from the caliper on that side and see if that frees it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts