MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't see it in that thread. I want to install remote keyless entry in a 2000 model year Spyder -- which wasn't equipped with it from the factory. I understand that the RKE system was a dealer-installed option in 2000, but the BGB doesn't have installation instructions.

The thread I referred to in my original post indicates the RS3200 unit used in the 2000/2001 Camry can be installed in the 2000 Spyder and referred to some some (long gone) Word documents stored on SpyderMagazine.com that contained the installation instructions.

Maybe someone has the Word documents stored away in their archives?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The only key I have is the valet key. I'm going to purchase another key. Question is, how would you know if the car was equipped with the key-less feature from the factory? If it already has it then all I would need is the key with the buttons and then to program it. Would the vin # assist in knowing if its already there?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only key I have is the valet key. I'm going to purchase another key. Question is, how would you know if the car was equipped with the key-less feature from the factory? If it already has it then all I would need is the key with the buttons and then to program it. Would the vin # assist in knowing if its already there?
Can you remind me what model year you have?

I believe that Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) was standard on most '01s and all '02-'05s. You can check by doing the following procedures:

1. Before you begin: Open the driver's door and remove the key from the ignition switch.

2. Start the programming procedure.
You must complete all of these steps within 40 seconds.

a. Insert the key into, and remove it from the ignition switch 2 times.
b. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times.
c. Insert the key into, and remove it from the ignition switch 1 time.
d. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times.
e. Insert the key into, the ignition switch and leave it in.
f. Close the driver's door.
g. Turn the key from LOCK to ON, then back to LOCK.
h. Remove the key from the ignition switch.

If you have the factory/dealer installed RKE system, the tail and marker lights will flash 1 time, the buzzer chirps 1 time and the doors lock and unlock 1 time.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before you spend untold dollars on this project, ask yourself WHY?
If you lock a rag-top, you're inviting felons to cut it to gain entry.
Is it worth it?
I suppose it depends upon your neighborhood.
Personally, I leave the car unlocked and leave nothing of value inside.
Is is it worth it?
I've seen the RS3200 RKE set up sell for less than $50 on eBay. Here is an example.

It is worth it to me. I would like to have a car with keyless entry, preferably through an OEM (almost) plug & play solution.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.